←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Hbo Boxing Pops Showtime With A Hard Counter

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 Oct 2014

HBO Boxing pops Showtime with a hard counter

Ted KempCNBC.com

When it comes to boxing, the media rivalry between Time Warner's HBO and CBS's Showtime can be as merciless as some of their best televised bouts. And HBO just struck a blow.

HBO signed Saul "Canelo" Alvarez to an "exclusive, long-term" deal—the channel won't reveal either the dollar value or the duration of the pact—that will give it the rights to the sport's fastest-rising star.

Canelo (the nickname is "cinnamon" in Spanish) is a brutal Mexican redhead who, at the age of 24, carries a devoted fan base, many of whom are abidingly loyal Mexicans and Mexican-Americans—one of the sport's fastest-growing demographics.

The win is especially sweet for HBO Sports because it peeled the 44-1 junior middleweight away from arch-rival Showtime Sports, and in doing so undermined a big part of the very strategy that Showtime sought to bring to bear against HBO. Boxing has a long, open and unashamed tradition of promoting itself around the ethnicities or nationalities of its fighters, and HBO just stole away the sport's biggest Mexican star.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE WITH PHOTOS AND MORE LINKS AT CNBC.COM AT: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102057221

simba's Photo simba 05 Oct 2014

Canelo 9 years pro= 46 fights

Floyd 18 years pro= 47 fights

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 05 Oct 2014

View Postsimba, on 05 October 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

Canelo 9 years pro= 46 fights

Floyd 18 years pro= 47 fights

Canelo 9 years pro, fought 95% bums.

Jack Tripper's Photo Jack Tripper 05 Oct 2014

View PostThe Akbar One, on 05 October 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Canelo 9 years pro, fought 95% bums.
Floyd 18 years pro, fought 96% bums.

Chance's Photo Chance 05 Oct 2014

View PostDanielandres, on 05 October 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

:lol:

prophecy's Photo prophecy 05 Oct 2014

I guess the question is who's fought more top fighters?

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 05 Oct 2014

View Postprophecy, on 05 October 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

Depends on what you mean by top fighter?  Top fighter as in at some time in their career, or when they actually faced off in the ring.  While Floyd has fought many guys passed it, he still has fought I'd say top of the division top guys.  The problem with Floyd is all the misses and some of the most decorated guys Floyd fought he did so at the tail end of their career.  Canelo has taken all comers, which is impressive at age 24.  Floyd is definitely the more skilled fighter, but although I don't think much of Canelo, he has fought guys Floyd would never step in the ring with and has won.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 05 Oct 2014

Interesting question.

They both fought Shane when he was old. Both fought Baldomir. Alvarez fought cintron and Floyd.  And he just stepped up to the big leagues recently.

The top fighters Floyd faced (one time each except Castillo)... Hatton, corrales, Castillo, jmm. or guys who were thought to be past it like mosely, cotto, and Oscar. Plus Canelo in what appeared to be a great performance. But with the length of times he's been fighting, it could be much more.

Meanwhile pac has faced and beaten morales, Barrera, and jmm multiple times each, retired Hatton, retired Oscar, beat cotto, beat margarito, beat mostly, beat Bradley (should be twice), and that's in the last 9 years.

At least Alvarez WANTS big fights. He has stated he wants a pac fight. Those words have never come from mayweather.

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 06 Oct 2014

View Post1hitrquitr, on 05 October 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

Depends on what you mean by top fighter?  Top fighter as in at some time in their career, or when they actually faced off in the ring.  While Floyd has fought many guys passed it, he still has fought I'd say top of the division top guys.  The problem with Floyd is all the misses and some of the most decorated guys Floyd fought he did so at the tail end of their career.  Canelo has taken all comers, which is impressive at age 24.  Floyd is definitely the more skilled fighter, but although I don't think much of Canelo, he has fought guys Floyd would never step in the ring with and has won.

Likely not now. Not anymore. But there was a time, when Floyd was around the same age as Canelo, that he fought several top fighters. Hernandez, Corrales, and Castillo were all considered the divisional best when Mayweather fought them. Even recently, Canelo was the top contender at 154 at the time he faced Floyd. It's more the name-fighters that Floyd fought - your Oscars and Shanes and Miguels - that were considered less than their best when they happened to meet.

This view, IMO, has just been exacerbated in recent years because the top opponent at welterweight for most of that time has been, well, Manny.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 06 Oct 2014

:lol:

simba's Photo simba 07 Oct 2014

View Post9secondko, on 05 October 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

At least Alvarez WANTS big fights. He has stated he wants a pac fight. Those words have never come from mayweather.
Tru dat

Pittbull's Photo Pittbull 08 Oct 2014

It's difficult for me to believe, that upon signing Floyd to a multi fight deal with Showtime, there weren't any stipulations for a fight with Pacquiao. It's still the biggest fight in the sport of Boxing. The difference is that Canelo is letting everyone know ahead of time, that he wants a fight with Pacquiao.

We're still waiting for Floyd's announcement.

simba's Photo simba 10 Oct 2014

View PostPittbull, on 08 October 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

We're still waiting for Floyd's announcement.
For: Malignaggi, Khan, or Taylor

neveroutboxed's Photo neveroutboxed 10 Oct 2014

View Post9secondko, on 05 October 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Interesting question.

They both fought Shane when he was old. Both fought Baldomir. Alvarez fought cintron and Floyd.  And he just stepped up to the big leagues recently.

The top fighters Floyd faced (one time each except Castillo)... Hatton, corrales, Castillo, jmm. or guys who were thought to be past it like mosely, cotto, and Oscar. Plus Canelo in what appeared to be a great performance. But with the length of times he's been fighting, it could be much more.

Meanwhile pac has faced and beaten morales, Barrera, and jmm multiple times each, retired Hatton, retired Oscar, beat cotto, beat margarito, beat mostly, beat Bradley (should be twice), and that's in the last 9 years.

Hmmm...BHOP retired Oscar, not Pac...Mayweather easily beat Marquez after a year off and Pac couldn't beat him clearly in 3 attempts then got KTFO in the 4th...Pac may have retired Hatton, but only after Mayweather KO'd him...Barrera and Morales were not in their prime and Morales beat Pac once...Cotto was just DESTROYED by Margarito...Margarito was just DESTROYED by Mosley...Mosley who was just schooled by Mayweather...so only true good win was Bradley!

Pac aka The Cherry Picker

Pac needs to beat both Alverez and Maidana to even be considered for a chance against Mayweather IMO!

What I mean by considered is getting a large split of the earnings against Mayweather.