←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Dariusz Michalczewski - From Pugilist To A...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 Oct 2014

From Pugilist to Activist

By Slawomir Sierakowski, New York Times

WARSAW — In conservative Poland, where even the greatest optimists have lost hope that we’ll ever have sex ed in schools, to say nothing of same-sex unions, our latest progressive leader has come from an unlikely place: professional boxing. Dariusz Michalczewski, a world-famous pugilist who goes by the nickname Tiger, recently made headlines by announcing his support for one of the country’s most prominent gay rights groups, Shoulder to Shoulder on Equality — L.G.B.T. and Friends, by appearing in a photograph with a sign reading, “I am an ally of L.G.B.T. people, because I want to live in a country where my gay friends are not discriminated against.”

Tiger, 46, is a former light heavyweight world champion who defended his title for almost 10 years. For a decade he dominated the prestigious World Boxing Organization, whose current champions include Vitali V. Klitschko and Manny Pacquiao. Now the boxer has decided to compete in the super heavyweight division — that is, the fight for minority rights in Poland.

Mr. Michalczewski is both a surprising advocate for gay rights and the perfect choice for the role: He is white, heterosexual, Catholic, rich, professionally successful and widely popular, and thus more likely to persuade conservatives than a liberal intellectual or politician. A typical young man from an economically depressed town that doesn’t have a single movie theater but has five churches might not get a chance to read a progressive manifesto. The opinions of a legendary boxer who grew up under similar circumstances, meanwhile, might prove thought-provoking.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE NEW YOUR TIMES AT: http://www.nytimes.c...ivist.html?_r=0

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 05 Oct 2014

we should all be treated the same but gay rights are a joke. the bible says to love your neighbor as your self. if we all did that then special rights don't need to be givin we would all get along. let god be the judge