←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Review: Jerry Izenberg Captures The Essenc...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 06 Oct 2014

REVIEW: Jerry Izenberg Captures the Essence of Pete Rozelle in New Book
By Steve Politi, Star-Ledger

It is a book that, literally, was four decades in the making.

Jerry Izenberg met with the man most responsible for making the NFL the behemoth it has become in 1977 and made his intentions clear: He wanted to write a book about Pete Rozelle. “I told Pete what I planned to do,” Izenberg writes in the prologue, “and he said he'd rather I didn't.”

But Izenberg told him that, eventually, somebody would write it. Who better than a sportswriter who was there from the beginning with Rozelle, who was there when the NFL was a 12-franchise league with many of those teams playing in half empty stadiums, when nobody knew the force it would become in professional sports.

The answer, of course, is nobody. Izenberg, the longtime columnist for The Star-Ledger (and, in full disclosure, the reason I wanted to become a sportswriter), captures the long tenure of a man who not only presided over the NFL's growth but, in the '80s, drug scandals, labor disputes and (briefly) competition from the USFL...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE STAR LEDGER AT: http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/politi/index.ssf/2014/10/review_jerry_izenberg_captures.html