←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Just Ask Joe Goossen - That Corrales-casti...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 07 Oct 2014

Just ask Joe Goossen — that Corrales-Castillo bout is still a stunner

Bill Dwyre, Los Angeles Times

Joe Goossen recalls 'most stunning performance in boxing history,' in Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo bout
Trainer Joe Goossen, who recently lost promoter brother Dan, has vivid memories of 2007 Corrales-Castillo bout

The roller coaster of life took Joe Goossen on quite a ride the last few weeks.

Goossen is a world-class boxing trainer. He has been in the corner of several world champions, and he is still at it.
A week ago Monday, his older brother died.

Dan Goossen, 64, was the main man in Goossen Promotions, a bigger-than-life figure who was among the bigger and better boxing promoters in the country. Among his fighters was Andre Ward, whom many consider to be close behind Floyd Mayweather Jr., as the sport's pound-for-pound best.

Goossen's death was a shock to the boxing world. He had liver cancer. He found out in early September, about the time Joe was turning 61, and lived less than a month. His condition was kept quiet.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE L.A. TIMES AT:  http://www.latimes.c...007-column.html

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 07 Oct 2014

Still can't believe I was at that fight, especially how I was able to get tickets, I won a pair of $300 tics at a local sports radio show live spot at cheetahs strip club,  lol.  Too bad there was only about 5,100 in attendance at Mandalay,  although by the 7th round it was incredibly loud in there.  Reading this article, I do remember seeing a lot of top fighters walkin in, I was quite close.  Toney, winky, Lacy, chavez sr and jr and many more.  I remember also the Mexican fans in the upper deck were so pissed when weeks stopped the fight, they were crying bs and throwing beers.  I guess they wanted to see Castillo die before it was stopped?

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 07 Oct 2014

View PostShaun Waller, on 07 October 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Still can't believe I was at that fight, especially how I was able to get tickets, I won a pair of $300 tics at a local sports radio show live spot at cheetahs strip club,  lol.  Too bad there was only about 5,100 in attendance at Mandalay,  although by the 7th round it was incredibly loud in there.  Reading this article, I do remember seeing a lot of top fighters walkin in, I was quite close.  Toney, winky, Lacy, chavez sr and jr and many more.  I remember also the Mexican fans in the upper deck were so pissed when weeks stopped the fight, they were crying bs and throwing beers.  I guess they wanted to see Castillo die before it was stopped?
MANE me was there to nigga! In spirit cuz I was higher dan a fucking buzzard :lol:

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 07 Oct 2014

^^^  Hahaha!   Word up mane!

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 07 Oct 2014

View PostShaun Waller, on 07 October 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

^^^  Hahaha!   Word up mane!
MANE word up :lol:

Antonious's Photo Antonious 07 Oct 2014

View PostShameLess, on 07 October 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

MANE me was there to nigga! In spirit cuz I was higher dan a fucking buzzard :lol:/>

Lol