←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Hard-hitting Golovkin Stays Soft-spoken In...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 09 Oct 2014

Hard-hitting Golovkin stays soft-spoken in run-up to Rubio

By Lyle Fitzsimmons | CBSSports.com
October 8, 2014 12:29 pm ET

Unlike some who get paid to punch people in the mouth, Gennady Golovkin doesn't spend a lot of his downtime talking trash. In fact, he's far more likely to batter an opponent with pre-fight kindness and respect than he is to take to social media to belittle or berate.

True to form, the unbeaten International Boxing Organization (IBO) and World Boxing Association (WBA) middleweight champion is preparing for the latest defense of his title belts in the same soft-spoken manner. He'll face Mexican veteran Marco Antonio Rubio on Oct. 18 at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., and has had nothing but niceties for his foe since the match was announced in August.

He discussed the bout in a recent phone chat with CBSSports.com.

“He's rough. He's strong. He's tough. He's a good fighter,” Golovkin said...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON CBS SPORTS AT: http://www.cbssports...run-up-to-rubio

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 09 Oct 2014

I prefer people like that, do their fighting in the ring.  If you can beat an opponent, there's no need to boast about it beforehand.  All that does is make it look like you aren't confident in your abilities.

Eric5235's Photo Eric5235 09 Oct 2014

He is a scary man.

Antonious's Photo Antonious 10 Oct 2014

humble demeanor by golovkin. Meanwhile Rubios mouth has been writing checks his ass won't be able to cash. 5 rounds max.

Pittbull's Photo Pittbull 10 Oct 2014

It's called killing them with kindness. GGG is a dangerous fighter. He's a hybrid, cross between a European fighter and Mexican. I wonder how he would have fared against Hagler, Mugabi, Hamsho and Antuofermo.

GGG don't let me down. MAR doesn't stand a chance. It won't go pass 7 rds. I've stated before, if it goes passed 6, I'll stop posting altogether.

True Fist's Photo True Fist 10 Oct 2014

GGG is the epitome of a professional prize fighter. Like BF mentioned, I also like a fighter that comes off as respectable and kind, but will destroy your world in the ring. He defines the gentleman's sport which boxing is.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 10 Oct 2014

View PostTrue Fist, on 10 October 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

GGG is the epitome of a professional prize fighter. Like BF mentioned, I also like a fighter that comes off as respectable and kind, but will destroy your world in the ring. He defines the gentleman's sport which boxing is.

Thought that was golf :unsure:

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 10 Oct 2014

View Postjlc80, on 10 October 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

Nah, golf's the racist male chauvinist game.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 11 Oct 2014

Nah mane dat be spades ane poker

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 11 Oct 2014

Nah mane dat be spades ane poker

True Fist's Photo True Fist 11 Oct 2014

Thought that was golf :unsure:/>

You really never heard that before?