←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Carl Froch: 10 Things No One Tells You Bef...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 09 Oct 2014

Carl Froch: 10 things no one tells you before you become a professional boxer

As IBF super middleweight world champion Carl Froch explains, the life of a boxer involves a huge amount of running, skipping and developing a thick skin

By Guy Kelly
8:25AM BST 09 Oct 2014

"Boxing," Sugar Ray Leonard wrote, "is the ultimate challenge. There is nothing that compares to testing yourself like the way you do in the ring." He’s probably right; there’s no sport quite like it as a combination of discipline, artistry, violence and fame.

Consider it stripped back, though: you are paid just once or twice a year to stand half naked in the only lit part of a dark, packed stadium of screaming fans, opposite just one competitor whom you need to punch repeatedly in the face during the brief time he or she isn’t punching you in the face, hoping to knock them over or have judges decide you were better at it.

It’s an unusual job. And long before you can float like a butterfly or sting like a bee there’s enough crawling like a caterpillar to put even the most motivated off. Here with his "10 things no one tells you before you become a professional boxer" is a man who knows exactly what it takes: four-time super middleweight champion and current IBF belt holder Carl Froch.

1. You’re signing up to be a semi-professional runner

"I hate running, but when you get to this level, if you aren’t prepared to become a semi-professional runner, you might as well quit. Running is your bread and butter: the core fitness from which everything else is built. When I train, I probably run five times a week, and this is anything from 80-metre sprints to full-on 10ks. I can now do six miles in less than 40 minutes, which is an extremely fast time for someone carrying so much muscle. Young boxers might find it a massive kick in the balls when they realise what’s required to become champion, but it all pays off in the ring."

READ THE FULL ARTICLE: http://www.telegraph...onal-boxer.html

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 09 Oct 2014

"The only person that’s ever knocked me out is my anaesthetist. George Groves certainly couldn’t, and I showed the world that he falls squarely into the glass jaw category."

:lol:

He really doesn't like Groves, does he?

You beat him Froch, move on. :D

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 09 Oct 2014

Yeah, fukks sake. Let it go. He's relentless.

mike john's Photo mike john 09 Oct 2014

View PostBoxingFan, on 09 October 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

"The only person that’s ever knocked me out is my anaesthetist. George Groves certainly couldn’t, and I showed the world that he falls squarely into the glass jaw category."

:lol:

He really doesn't like Groves, does he?

You beat him Froch, move on. :D

froch clearly doesnt rate his own punching power either