←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Mearns Mauler Stewart Burt Is Not Too Posh...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 11 Oct 2014

Mearns mauler Burt is not too posh to punch

By Scott Mullen
Saturday 11/10/2014

Newton Mearns boxer Stewart Burt hopes to nail down date for his professional debut.  Now the Glasgow fighter is ready to take centre stage as last. The 24-year-old is one of a small number of amateur talents who have made the decision to turn professional in recent weeks. However, he is doing it with a deep fire of determination burning in his belly.

Despite being under Alex Morrison's boxing banner, Burt agonisingly came up just short of qualifying for the Commonwealth Games in his home city so he was left at home to watch, pals Joe Ham and Stephen Lavelle go on to glory. The electrician from Newton Mearns with a private education background, an upbringing which has earned him the nickname 'Posh', has also spent his years monitoring the progress of other Scottish fighters, with him often standing as a spectator at many of Ricky Burns' world title fights.

It's a stage, despite his Games setback, he feels is waiting for him.

"I'm hoping to get a date sorted for my debut. I'm looking to get it before the end of year, hopefully next month," explained Burt, who will fight at welterweight.

"My main idol is Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather as well. I've watched countless videos of them fighting growing up.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE EVENING TIMES: http://www.eveningti...84179n.25564319