←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

The Hof Case For/against "ferocious...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 13 Oct 2014

The HOF case for/against "Ferocious" Fernando Vargas

By Kevin Iole

Some years, it's simple to fill out the ballot for the International Boxing Hall of Fame. In the modern category, three fighters are elected each year, and with Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad and Joe Calzaghe all on the ballot for the first time in 2013, their election was a foregone conclusion.

There is no one this year, however, who is a lock for induction. I will vote for "Prince" Naseem Hamed, as I have done previously, but for some reason, Hamed lacks widespread support and is no better than 50-50 to make it.

There are a lot of good fighters who need to be considered, but there are no slam dunks.

One of the new names on the ballot is former super welterweight champion Fernando Vargas, a 1996 U.S. Olympian. His case is one of the most interesting....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON YAHOO.COM AT: http://sports.yahoo....-160845663.html

Antonious's Photo Antonious 13 Oct 2014

No dispute here.  

Youngest jr middleweight champ ever. Nuff said

Ferocious gets in easy.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 13 Oct 2014

yeah i think he deserves it.

just. :D

get naz in there to.

AntonioMartin's Photo AntonioMartin 13 Oct 2014

Funny how people dismiss Hamed, who was the  top featherweight for a few years, had a 31-1 record, losing only to arguably another Hall of Famer, Barrera. As far as Vargas I don't think he is Hall of Fame worthy but then again I never thought Gatii was and I guess the other writers thought me wrong. Sadly, the article does not mention Macho Camacho who by all means is Hall of Fame worthy.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 13 Oct 2014

Macho Camacho mane all da way ya digs

Danko's Photo Danko 13 Oct 2014

Vargas is no hall of famer

ATLien's Photo ATLien 13 Oct 2014

I wouldn't vote for him. and I was a Vargas fans since since his amateur days.  Since there are no specific qualifiers as to why a guy should be inducted, might as well throw him in there too.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 13 Oct 2014

He had a nice run with Marquez, Winky, and Ike, but that's not enough for me.

Mane Camacho in a few years ane Prince Naz den me thank winky wright should be mane maybe ya digs

RickS's Photo RickS 13 Oct 2014

If Barry McGuigan made it in with his credentials, then Feroz, Macho, Gatti and the rest deserve to get in.  Barry made it in on his popularity alone.

Hamed dropped out of the sport at his peak.  You could put him in on what he COULD have accomplished I guess.

psylancer's Photo psylancer 13 Oct 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 13 October 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

He had a nice run with Marquez, Winky, and Ike, but that's not enough for me.

Do you really think he beat Winky? His Quartey win was great and he was certainly a popular fighter, but I don't see a HoF career here. Then again, it's hard to argue against it if fighters like Gatti are already inducted.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 13 Oct 2014

Yes and no.

View PostRickS, on 13 October 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

If Barry McGuigan made it in with his credentials, then Feroz, Macho, Gatti and the rest deserve to get in.  Barry made it in on his popularity alone.
Mane Camacho was cold ass fighter him was great. Anne naz changed da lil mane game up

View PostShameLess, on 13 October 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Mane Camacho was cold ass fighter him was great. Anne naz changed da lil mane game up

Camacho was better known for his out of the ring exploits, like getting pulled over for driving down Alligator Alley with a chick in his lap, breaking onto a computer store to get his laptop back, and many others.  But if you look at his record, his body of work is awesome.  

Naz STRETCHED people out.  He could have done so much more.  Why did he never fight again after Barrera?  Losing to MAB is nothing to be ashamed of.   Maybe he lost it for the sport mentally.  I loved watching his fights.