←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Edwin Rodriguez Q&a: 'i'm A Player At 175'

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 15 Oct 2014

Rodriguez Q&A: 'I'm a player at 175'

By Brian Campbell | ESPN.com

Edwin Rodriguez makes the move up to light heavyweight on Saturday against Azea Augustama.
It has been nearly a full year since Edwin Rodriguez suffered the first defeat of his career against super middleweight champion Andre Ward last November.

Golovkin-Rubio

Where: StubHub Center in Carson, California
When: Saturday, 10 p.m. ET
TV: HBO
After undergoing elbow surgery in December, Rodriguez saw a handful of possible return fights fall through.

But Rodriguez (24-1, 16 KOs), a native of the Dominican Republic who fights out of Worcester, Massachusetts, will make his return Saturday in a new weight class.

Rodriguez, 29, makes the move to light heavyweight when he faces Azea Augustama (17-1, 9 KOs) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California (HBO Latino, tape-delayed, 12:30 a.m. ET). The fight takes place on the undercard of Gennady Golovkin's middleweight title defense against Marco Antonio Rubio.

Known as "La Bomba," Rodriguez took time away from training to talk with ESPN.com about his loss to Ward and what his future plans are at 175 pounds:

You failed to make weight in your last bout against Andre Ward. Has making 168 pounds become something that is no longer realistic for you?
Entering the negotiation for the Ward fight, it was more the fact of not having a manager, then signing up with Al Haymon and having just taken my family on a vacation. I didn't keep track of my weight, and I got all the way up to 217. So coming down for eight weeks to 168, my whole training camp was about losing the weight. It was hard to follow the game plan and prepare for that type of fight when I had so much weight to lose. It backfired on me, so I knew that it was time to move up and not have to stress about weight as much. This fight coming up now is a new beginning for me. I have to come in and make a statement to let everyone know that I had a bad day at the office in my last fight, but it's not going to define my career.

Looking back on how the Ward fight played out in the ring, what went wrong for you?
I was disappointed in myself with the whole situation and not being able to be on my best. I know that Andre Ward is a great fighter and he did a lot of things right. He has been doing that for years and has a very difficult style. But..........

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...ayer-175-pounds

Antonious's Photo Antonious 15 Oct 2014

Rodriguez is just an average fighter. Pass

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 16 Oct 2014

Mane dat nigga went from likes 217 to 168 dats like 50 fucking pounds ya digs

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 16 Oct 2014

Me thank him be in fun fights mane den step in to tops nigga Adonis ane gets smashed

RickS's Photo RickS 16 Oct 2014

View PostAntonious, on 15 October 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

Rodriguez is just an average fighter. Pass

agree