←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Golovkin: 'i'm Ready For Everybody...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 15 Oct 2014

Golovkin: 'I'm ready for everybody'

Middleweight titlist faces Marco Antonio Rubio on Saturday

By Brian Campbell | ESPN.com

The train keeps moving down the tracks for unbeaten middleweight titlist and knockout sensation Gennady Golovkin.

Golovkin-Rubio

Where: StubHub Center in Carson, California
When: Saturday, 10 p.m. ET
TV: HBO

Less than three months removed from a third-round TKO of former titlist Daniel Geale during Golovkin's successful debut at New York's Madison Square Garden, the native of Kazakhstan is heading west.

Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs), who stays busier than just about any top-tier fighter as he looks to build his brand, makes his West Coast debut on Saturday when he faces interim titlist Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The fight, which has been dubbed "Mexican Style," sold out so quickly that the venue has continued to add additional seats, including a standing-room only section. Although Saturday will be Golovkin's first fight in California, he has built a significant presence there in recent years by holding his training camp in Big Bear.

Golovkin, 32, took time away from training to talk with ESPN.com about his growing popularity and more:

Why is it so important for you to be making your West Coast debut?
I'm very happy. I'm very excited to fight in California. I always enjoy attending fights at the StubHub Center. I have a lot of friends from California who support me. It is very important for me. This is a big fight for me.

How surprised were you at how quickly the tickets sold for this fight?
Not too surprised. But it's very interesting how quick they sold in the first two weeks. It's a very good position for me and for my show. Thank you to my fans, first. This is very important for me.

What have you done differently in this training camp to prepare for Rubio?
Mostly the same, but it has been a little bit different. I have had a longer training camp this time because I need time to heal in between. My last fight......

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...ready-everybody

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 16 Oct 2014

The guy has fought absolutely fucking no one, HBO are really going to town on the hype.

Get him in with Ward, he's moaning no one wants to fight him.... well start calling GGG out and speak to your pay masters.

Sick of these long ass winded careers that seem to go on for years and once every blue moon they'll fight someone that actually gets everybody interested.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 16 Oct 2014

View PostROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 16 October 2014 - 02:41 AM, said:

The guy has fought absolutely fucking no one, HBO are really going to town on the hype.

Get him in with Ward, he's moaning no one wants to fight him.... well start calling GGG out and speak to your pay masters.

Sick of these long ass winded careers that seem to go on for years and once every blue moon they'll fight someone that actually gets everybody interested.

Quit your whining.

And ward can have the fight if he wants it. Just needs to weigh in at 160. Easy.

You're just sad he's not a fellow snag.