←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Matthew Macklin Ready To Risk It All For G...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 15 Oct 2014

Matthew Macklin ready to risk it all for Gennady Golovkin

Nick Parkinson

Matthew Macklin faces Argentine Jorge Sebastian Heiland in a WBC world middleweight title eliminator in Dublin on November 15 and the Birmingham boxer tells ESPN how he hopes victory will set up a clash with British rival Martin Murray before a rematch with Gennady Golovkin, the world No.1 who is in action this weekend.

From Matthew Macklin: Since losing to Gennady Golovkin in three rounds in June of last year, I've won on points over ten rounds and over eight rounds and I would probably only give myself five or six out of ten for each of them. But this fight against Heiland will be my first meaningful fight since Golovkin and it's an eliminator for the WBC world middleweight title. It will bring out the best in me and I'm expecting to be a lot better.

In my recent fight [against Jose Yebes, won on points in Germany on September 27], my best rounds were seven and eight so you could see as the fight went on I was getting sharper and shaking off a bit of rust. I tried as hard as any other fight I've had in training but I didn't know who I was fighting until a few days before it and then I was first fight of the night in front of a few people in big empty arena. When you've been boxing in world title fights, I just found it hard to get up for it and it felt like a sparring session. It took a while to get out of the sparring mode and into some sort of rhythm, but I always felt like I was in control. It was good to get it out the way so I can concentrate on the next one.
READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT:  http://www.espn.co.u...RGoozLwuEZTz.99