←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Is Mma Safer Than Boxing?

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 17 Oct 2014

Is MMA safer than boxing?


By Justin Faux on October 17, 2014

Almost a century ago, a rare but serious form of dementia known as dementia pugilistica (later known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy), was linked to repetitive head injuries in boxing, but history has taught us that it touches more than just masters of “the sweet science”.

In prize fighting, fans often wince at the sight of blood. They cover their eyes or turn their head when a gash on a fighter’s forehead is busted open and blood spurts all over the canvas. It’s a confronting sight, but an even scarier tale goes unseen as the damage inflicted inside a fighters skull.

It’s that lurking head trauma that turned former mixed marital arts and kickboxing star Gary Goodridge (23-23-1 MMA, 12-24-2 kickboxing) into a walking billboard for the "protect your brain" message....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ninemsn.com.au AT: http://mmakanvas.nin...han-boxing.html
Quote

Raghavan1's Photo Raghavan1 17 Oct 2014

The more often you get hit to the head, the worse it is. And I think you get hit more to the head in boxing rather than in MMA.
Quote

BLACKROBB's Photo BLACKROBB 17 Oct 2014

MMA is safer... more ways to take damage than just head shots, shorter fights,  less accumulation of punishment over a shorter period of time... no Tex Cobb type stuff in MMA.
Quote

gdgills's Photo gdgills 17 Oct 2014

Still think there is way too much information to be gathered to know if there is even a difference.  While there are more ways to win in UFC, choking someone out can cause immediate brain damage in addition to whatever damage has already been sustained.  Also, we can't ignore the fact that the gloves are smaller and there is no padding on knees, elbows or shins.  All of which can be used to strike an opponents dome.  We all know the damage that boxing can cause, but the jury is still out on MMA.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 17 Oct 2014

Seems like MMA fighters are going crazy at a faster rate than boxers.  Look at War Machine and Mayhem.
Quote

True Fist's Photo True Fist 17 Oct 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 17 October 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

Seems like MMA fighters are going crazy at a faster rate than boxers.  Look at War Machine and Mayhem.

Roids. The same affliction as the wrestlers dying in their 40's.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 17 Oct 2014

View PostTrue Fist, on 17 October 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

Roids. The same affliction as the wrestlers dying in their 40's.
Traumatic brain injuries play a part, too.
Quote

Willikn's Photo Willikn 17 Oct 2014

View PostBLACKROBB, on 17 October 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

MMA is safer... more ways to take damage than just head shots, shorter fights,  less accumulation of punishment over a shorter period of time... no Tex Cobb type stuff in MMA.

Gonna agree, although the difference seems minor.  

Far less accumulation of head trauma in MMA.  Lot's of grappling that is completely free of long term brain damage.  

However, nothing like a shin to the dome in boxing.  No fighter in boxing taking clean shots when they are out cold on the canvas.  No standing eight means a fighter's safety is completely in the hands of referee's speed and knowledge in stopping the action.
Quote

simba's Photo simba 17 Oct 2014

View PostWillikn, on 17 October 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

However, nothing like a shin to the dome in boxing.  No fighter in boxing taking clean shots when they are out cold on the canvas.  No standing eight means a fighter's safety is completely in the hands of referee's speed and knowledge in stopping the action.
True
Quote