←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Vasyl Next For Donaire Vs. Walters Winner?

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 17 Oct 2014

Vasyl next for Donaire-Walters winner?

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Vasyl Lomachenko could be in line for a fight against the winner of Nonito Donaire-Nicholas Walters.
The bout Saturday night between featherweight titleholder Nonito Donaire and secondary beltholder Nicholas Walters (HBO, 10 ET/PT) at the sold-out StubHub Center in Carson, California, on the Gennady Golovkin-Marco Antonio Rubio undercard shapes up to be very interesting.

But what comes next for the winner could be even more fascinating.

Top Rank's Bob Arum promotes several of the top featherweights, including Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) and Walters (24-0, 20 KOs). He also promotes two of the other world titleholders, Evgeny Gradovich (19-0, 9 KOs) and Vasyl Lomachenko (2-1, 1 KO), the brilliant two-time Olympic gold medalist, whose pro record is deceiving.

If Arum has his way -- and he hopes HBO will ante up for it -- he would like to match the winner of Donaire-Walters with Lomachenko, assuming he defeats Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo (52-1, 33 KOs) on Nov. 22 on the Manny Pacquiao-Chris Algieri HBO PPV undercard.

"The winner of Donaire-Walters against Lomachenko is a massive, massive fight, especially if it's Donaire who wins," Arum told ESPN.com. "I would look forward to matching Saturday's winner with Lomachenko if he beats the Thai guy, who is a tough opponent with a great record. The winner of [Saturday's] fight versus Lomachenko is a major event in my opinion.

"But it's an expensive fight. We all know that. I would hope we......

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...-walters-winner

BABABOOEY's Photo BABABOOEY 19 Oct 2014

What a joke. Boxing politics at it's best. This guy is 2-1, and he's still being talked about for title shots! The other fighters in his division who are getting passed over while he gets that title shot have got to be furious.

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 19 Oct 2014

BABABOOEY, on 19 October 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

What a joke. Boxing politics at it's best. This guy is 2-1, and he's still being talked about for title shots! The other fighters in his division who are getting passed over while he gets that title shot have got to be furious.

He isn't 2-1, he is like 8-1, and he just spanked Russell Jr.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 19 Oct 2014

^^^ Yup

Whitehope#!'s Photo Whitehope#! 19 Oct 2014

Lomachenko beats walters easily. Tailor made style. Too much skills.

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 19 Oct 2014

Whitehope#!, on 19 October 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Lomachenko beats walters easily. Tailor made style. Too much skills.

I doubt it.

fourtheboys96's Photo fourtheboys96 19 Oct 2014

The Akbar One, on 19 October 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

I doubt it.

Yes Vasyl will be too much for Walters.

I doubt anything Walters can offer is greater than what Salido (including dirty/veteran tactics) dished out to Vasyl.

Plus the gap in boxing skills will be too much. Vasyl isn't Donaire size and skill-wise.

Danko's Photo Danko 20 Oct 2014

Vasyl is a joke. He needs to man up and fight salido again but he probably doesn't want that fight. Waters will KO Loma

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 21 Oct 2014

Danko, on 20 October 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Vasyl is a joke. He needs to man up and fight salido again but he probably doesn't want that fight. Waters will KO Loma
They're not in the same weight class and haven't been for some time.