←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Powerful Nicholas Walters Tkos Nonito Dona...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 19 Oct 2014

Powerful Nicholas Walters TKOs Nonito Donaire in sensational battle

By Kevin Iole - Yahoo

CARSON, Calif. -- Nicholas Walters gave his father, Job, the best possible birthday present he could on Saturday, stopping Nonito Donaire with one second left in the sixth round of their WBA featherweight title fight before 9,323 energized fans at the StubHub Center.

Walters knocked Donaire down with a short right uppercut in the third, putting the one-time Fighter of the Year down for the first time in his career. In the sixth, Walters cracked Donaire with an overhand right that landed just above Donaire's ear.

Donaire beat the count, but he was on unsteady legs and referee Raul Caiz Jr. wisely stopped it.
"He's an amazing fighter; an amazing champion," Donaire said of Walters. "I was at my best for this. I never trained this hard. I never ever trained this hard for a fight."

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON YAHOO SPORTS AT: http://sports.yahoo....-025938193.html

simba's Photo simba 19 Oct 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 19 October 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

Powerful Nicholas Walters TKOs Nonito Donaire in sensational battle

By Kevin Iole - Yahoo

CARSON, Calif. -- Nicholas Walters gave his father, Job, the best possible birthday present he could on Saturday, stopping Nonito Donaire with one second left in the sixth round of their WBA featherweight title fight before 9,323 energized fans at the StubHub Center.

Walters knocked Donaire down with a short right uppercut in the third, putting the one-time Fighter of the Year down for the first time in his career. In the sixth, Walters cracked Donaire with an overhand right that landed just above Donaire's ear.

Donaire beat the count, but he was on unsteady legs and referee Raul Caiz Jr. wisely stopped it.
"He's an amazing fighter; an amazing champion," Donaire said of Walters. "I was at my best for this. I never trained this hard. I never ever trained this hard for a fight."

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON YAHOO SPORTS AT: http://sports.yahoo....-025938193.html
Pfffft...
Still arrogant.

psylancer's Photo psylancer 19 Oct 2014

View Postsimba, on 19 October 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Pfffft...
Still arrogant.

How did you infer arrogance? Donaire twice said, "He beat the sh*t out of me." He also said, "I know I can't compete with guys like Walters." By saying he never trained this hard, Donaire implied that his best wasn't good enough against Walters. There was nothing arrogant about anything he said in the post-fight interview.

mos-def's Photo mos-def 19 Oct 2014

It was strange watching such a high level fighter get dispatched in such a violent way.

The Akbar One's Photo The Akbar One 19 Oct 2014

Funny people are saying Walters is too big, while Donaire enjoyed even greater size advantages when he beat up on midgets like Montiel,Arce, Sydorenko etc. Donaire was always a little over rated.  People called him high level, yet he didn't fight the best opponents at 118-122 until he faced Rigondeax.

View PostThe Akbar One, on 19 October 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Funny people are saying Walters is too big, while Donaire enjoyed even greater size advantages when he beat up on midgets like Montiel,Arce, Sydorenko etc. Donaire was always a little over rated.  People called him high level, yet he didn't fight the best opponents at 118-122 until he faced Rigondeax.
Donaire wasn't over rated and he was certainly high level. You wanna know who's over rated? That mufucka Matty who lost to fucking Judah <_< and then got his ass beat down by DG, who according to ppl like you, DG was avoiding.

simba's Photo simba 19 Oct 2014

View Postpsylancer, on 19 October 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

How did you infer arrogance? Donaire twice said, "He beat the sh*t out of me." He also said, "I know I can't compete with guys like Walters." By saying he never trained this hard, Donaire implied that his best wasn't good enough against Walters. There was nothing arrogant about anything he said in the post-fight interview.

View Postpsylancer, on 19 October 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

I never trained this hard. I never ever trained this hard for a fight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BS

View Postmos-def, on 19 October 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Donaire wasn't over rated and he was certainly high level. You wanna know who's over rated? That mufucka Matty who lost to fucking Judah <_< and then got his ass beat down by DG, who according to ppl like you, DG was avoiding.

Let me clarify.  Yeah he was a higher level guy.  From 112-118 he looked like an A level guy.  There isn't much as far as boxers with the total package of athleticism, talent, and size at those weights.  Donaire was usually the bigger man in the ring, the more athletic, and the more talented. He has some good wins at 112 and 115.  He avoided the best opposition most of the time at 118 and 122.  As far as the talent he has, there isn't much boxing IQ behind it.  When a guy is far too skilled to get caught and KO'd by his left hook, he doesn't really have an answer, so Rigs pounded on his face.  When a bigger guy like Walters is able to eat his money punch, and come back, Donaire again, didn't have an answer, and he got stopped.  That exposes Donaire a bit.  He looked all world against guys when he has all the advantages.  Take away just one advantage and he crumbles.  He got boxer of the year for fighting Vazquez Jr.(garbage), Mathebula(incredibly fluky, and lacking in coordination), Nishioka(retired for a year, came back for the check,  didn't put in half an effort), and Arce(wasn't shit at the weight)  Not sure how somebody gets boxer of the year fighting that opposition.

Look man, how effective do you think Walters would be if moved up 4 weight classes or 14 pounds? Probably as effective as Donaire was last night. Put this shit in proper perspective. You talk about all these guys he avoided, pls name them. Around here if you don't fight someone, that automatically means you're scared or can't beat who you're being accused of so-called avoiding. You know, like Garcia was accused of avoiding Matty but when it came down to it, he beat that ass and had absolutely nothing to do with the match making.

You don't get "exposed" for fighting at a much higher weight than you started your career and lose, no matter how horrible it looked. Altho I think Donaire would beat most guys at the weight, becus he is a high level fighter, some would just be too much for him to overcome. Nothing wrong with that. Losing to Rigo wasn't a big deal either. The guy is good, plain and simple. But I'd venture to say he'd have the same problem facing guys much bigger than himself at some point, as would Ward, as would FMJ. That's expected.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 19 Oct 2014

View Postmos&#045;def, on 19 October 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Look man, how effective do you think Walters would be if moved up 4 weight classes or 14 pounds? Probably as effective as Donaire was last night. Put this shit in proper perspective. You talk about all these guys he avoided, pls name them. Around here if you don't fight someone, that automatically means you're scared or can't beat who you're being accused of so-called avoiding. You know, like Garcia was accused of avoiding Matty but when it came down to it, he beat that ass and had absolutely nothing to do with the match making.

You don't get "exposed" for fighting at a much higher weight than you started your career and lose, no matter how horrible it looked. Altho I think Donaire would beat most guys at the weight, becus he is a high level fighter, some would just be too much for him to overcome. Nothing wrong with that. Losing to Rigo wasn't a big deal either. The guy is good, plain and simple. But I'd venture to say he'd have the same problem facing guys much bigger than himself at some point, as would Ward, as would FMJ. That's expected.
This

View Postmos-def, on 19 October 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

Funny thing, Donaire has outweighed shorter opponents by more than five pounds in the ring, and been more than an inch taller.  But when the tables are flipped, he can't handle it.  

Who didn't he fight?  Well they wanted him in the Bantam Tourney.  He declined, even though four of the 5 best guys besides him were in it.  Mares, Agbeko, Perez, and Darchinyan.  Moreno was also at the weight, and those five were better than Sydorenko(old robotic midget) Montiel(over rated midget), and Narvaez(too small midget).  Moreno, Agbeko, and Mares were still around when Donaire moved to 122, but Donaire decided to fight four more underwhelming opponents.  

Rigondeaux is already much shorter than Donaire, but he would embarrass Walters.  I agree it does get to a point where they give up too much.  Rigondeaux's fight against Cordoba who is 5'9, shows that a little boxing ability, on a bigger man, can give even him problems.  He had issues with Cordoba's reach, and head movement in that fight.  Cordoba slipped his left hand damn near at will repeatedly.  Donaire wasn't giving up 7 inches though.  Only 1 last night.

psylancer's Photo psylancer 19 Oct 2014

View Postsimba, on 19 October 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I never trained this hard. I never ever trained this hard for a fight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BS

Again, how did you infer arrogance? Those two statements -- even pulled out of context, like you did -- aren't inherently arrogant. You can argue that it's untrue or exaggerated, but I have no idea how you made the leap to arrogance.

simba's Photo simba 20 Oct 2014

View Postpsylancer, on 19 October 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Again, how did you infer arrogance? Those two statements -- even pulled out of context, like you did -- aren't inherently arrogant. You can argue that it's untrue or exaggerated, but I have no idea how you made the leap to arrogance.
Pulled out of context? How?

So he's implying that he could have beaten Rigo had he trained hard?  Also implying that he never really trained hard for his wins against tough comp?  Pfffft....

psylancer's Photo psylancer 20 Oct 2014

View Postsimba, on 20 October 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

Pulled out of context? How?

So he's implying that he could have beaten Rigo had he trained hard?  Also implying that he never really trained hard for his wins against tough comp?  Pfffft....

I gave the context in my first reply. I'm not sure why you ignored it. He implied none of the things you suggested. Those are just poor inferences on your part. Did you even see the post-fight interview? I don't see how a reasonable person can call any of it arrogant.

simba's Photo simba 20 Oct 2014

View Postpsylancer, on 20 October 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

I gave the context in my first reply. I'm not sure why you ignored it. He implied none of the things you suggested. Those are just poor inferences on your part. Did you even see the post-fight interview? I don't see how a reasonable person can call any of it arrogant.
I guess I'm not reasonable.