←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Wba Champ Jessie Vargas Hires Roy Jones Jr...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 19 Oct 2014

WBA champ Vargas hires Roy Jones Jr. as new trainer

By STEVE CARP
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Jessie Vargas has changed trainers again.

The undefeated World Boxing Association junior welterweight champion from Las Vegas no longer has Ismael Salas in his corner after Salas left two weeks ago to work with fighters in England.

Vargas (25-0, nine knockouts) has hired Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. to replace Salas as he prepares for his Nov. 22 title defense against Antonio DeMarco in Macau. Jones opened a gym in Las Vegas this year.

“I was hoping he (Salas) wouldn’t go,” Vargas said. “He helped get me to the title, and he offered to have me join him in London. But I’m a Vegas guy, and I couldn’t see myself going halfway across the world to train for a fight in China.”
Vargas, 25, said he and Jones met a few weeks ago. When Jones learned of Salas’ decision, he offered his services to Vargas.

“Roy showed me some things, and I was really impressed,” Vargas said. “We’re working really hard, and I think this is going to be my breakout fight.”

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE LAS VEGAS REVIEW JOURNAL AT: http://www.reviewjou...-jr-new-trainer

True Fist's Photo True Fist 20 Oct 2014

Wow, interesting. Hopefully the experiment can turn Roy into a trainer and out of being a fighter. He does not need to fight anymore! Go out on the nice body shot KO win. :D

prophecy's Photo prophecy 20 Oct 2014

Roy actually helped me in my last fight. He's really good in the corner.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 20 Oct 2014

View Postprophecy, on 20 October 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Roy actually helped me in my last fight. He's really good in the corner.
Mane u fights boxing wit Roy mane

Chance's Photo Chance 20 Oct 2014

Makes sense, considering Vargas wants to stay in Vegas, and Roy just opened his gym here.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 21 Oct 2014

Hear Roy's working with Memo now.  Wonder if he'll work with Jesse, too.

Danko's Photo Danko 21 Oct 2014

Roy did a nice job with Pascal. Roy is one of the most intelligent boxing guys in the world and I think he will be an excellent trainer if he sticks with it.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 21 Oct 2014

View PostDanko, on 21 October 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Roy did a nice job with Pascal. Roy is one of the most intelligent boxing guys in the world and I think he will be an excellent trainer if he sticks with it.
Did somebody hack into your account?