←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Golovkin Delivers Another Knockout Blow

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 19 Oct 2014

Golovkin delivers another knockout blow

Dan Rafael | ESPN.com
October 19, 2014

Gennady Golovkin, boxing's most devastating knockout artist and biggest rising star, delivered yet another crushing KO as he drilled Marco Antonio Rubio in the second round to retain his middleweight world title Saturday night in California.
Golovkin entered the ring to cheers from the standing room-only crowd of 9,323 that turned out for his first appearance on the West Coast, and it was treated to a huge knockout - his 18th in a row.

Rubio took a few good shots in the first round, including a hard right hand near the end of the round that snapped his head back. Then he was a sitting duck in the second round as Golovkin began to really open up with right hands and left hooks to the head. A right hand and a left uppercut rocked Rubio, who staggered backward before Golovkin landed a heavy left hand to the temple, and Rubio crumbled to the mat. He tried to get to his feet but could not do it in time, as referee Jack Reiss counted him out at one minute and 19 seconds.

"The uppercut - he was very badly hurt, and I knew I had him," said Golovkin, who endeared himself even more to the heavily Mexican crowd by speaking a little in Spanish. "I was happy he came forward. He fought Mexican style and he tried to hurt me, but my power was too much for him tonight."...
READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT: http://www.espn.co.u...rpfxrG33XU9Z.99