←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

A Hard-hitting Story: How The Rumble In Th...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 21 Oct 2014

A hard-hitting story: How the Rumble In The Jungle defeat inspired Foreman's comeback

FORTY years ago this month George Foreman lost the Rumble In The Jungle against Muhammad Ali. Today he's worth a cool £120million and is better known for his electric grill

By: Peter Sheridan
Published: Tue, October 21, 2014

AT 4am in the sweltering African heat and humidity of Kinshasa before a roaring crowd baying for blood world heavyweight boxing champion George Foreman stepped into the ring to face underdog former champ Muhammad Ali 40 years ago this month.

"I hated Ali," says Foreman, still a formidable huge-fisted mountain of a man at 6ft 3in today and now aged 65. "Hated him." Foreman was on the wrong side of history in the bout dubbed The Rumble In The Jungle, losing to Ali by a sensational upset knockout in the eighth round.

The legendary fight is now considered one of the greatest sporting events of the past century but even more remarkable is Foreman's transformation over the past four decades. He left boxing to become a preacher, abandoning the ring for 10 years and losing his fortune before staging an improbable comeback and regaining his world heavyweight crown at the advanced age of 45.

When he finally quit boxing Foreman became a successful entrepreneur, earning more than £120million from a succession of lucrative product endorsements, cookbooks and his internationally bestselling line of George Foreman electric grills. "It was the most successful electrical appliance ever in Britain," he says...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE EXPRESS UK AT: http://www.express.c...e-In-The-Jungle

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 21 Oct 2014

I aint used my George Foreman Grill in ages.  I could never be bothered to clean the fucker. :D

Actually, I don't know why I got it.  Nothing you can do on that you can't do on a proper grill.

hitman_hatton1's Photo hitman_hatton1 21 Oct 2014

something else for bf to get fatter on. :P

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 21 Oct 2014

hitman_hatton1, on 21 October 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

something else for bf to get fatter on. :P

It made me lean and mean. :sleep:

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 22 Oct 2014

BoxingFan, on 21 October 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

It made me lean and mean. :sleep:

I never had one, but knew a few people who lived in small spaces (apartments /flats) and it made sense and worked decent.  I could understand the appeal under those circumstances.  Plus for bigger places, somehow it became trendy to have one sitting on the counter top as another accessory. Regardless, at the time, that grill had a good reputation, otherwise I am not sure it would have sold so well - but credit to Foreman as well who made it as an iconic pitch man in those days (He pitched Midas Mufflers in those days also).

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 22 Oct 2014

I got one a few years back. My friend, !ike yours, lived in a small apartment had one. One time we were drunk, and I got cooking on it. I liked it, and asked for one for my birthday.

To be honest though, the appeal wore off. It ain't that different to a real grill.

stevieb_8006's Photo stevieb_8006 22 Oct 2014

Another rumble in the jungle story. Just what boxing needs.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 22 Oct 2014

stevieb_8006, on 22 October 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

Another rumble in the jungle story. Just what boxing needs.

So, do you think that Floyd and Pac will ever fight? :lol: