←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Adonis Stevenson Hopes Big Fights Follow

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 28 Oct 2014

Stevenson hopes big fights follow

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson declined to finalize big-time fall unification showdowns with both Sergey Kovalev and Bernard Hopkins -- who will instead fight each other Nov. 8 -- and also failed to come to terms with former champion Jean Pascal for what would be a major fight between two of Montreal's biggest name boxers.

So instead of a significant fight, Stevenson will settle for making the fourth defense of his crown against the obscure Dmitry Sukhotsky on Dec. 19 at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City, Yvon Michel, Stevenson's promoter, said Monday. The fight will headline a Showtime-televised card.

Two news conferences to announce the fight are scheduled for Nov. 5, one in the morning in Quebec City and one in the afternoon in Montreal, Michel said.

Despite a very limited resume...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN.COM AT: http://espn.go.com/b...ukhotsky-dec-19

mike john's Photo mike john 28 Oct 2014

Glax0r, on 28 October 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Stevenson hopes big fights follow

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson declined to finalize big-time fall unification showdowns with both Sergey Kovalev and Bernard Hopkins -- who will instead fight each other Nov. 8 -- and also failed to come to terms with former champion Jean Pascal for what would be a major fight between two of Montreal's biggest name boxers.

So instead of a significant fight, Stevenson will settle for making the fourth defense of his crown against the obscure Dmitry Sukhotsky on Dec. 19 at the Pepsi Coliseum in Quebec City, Yvon Michel, Stevenson's promoter, said Monday. The fight will headline a Showtime-televised card.

Two news conferences to announce the fight are scheduled for Nov. 5, one in the morning in Quebec City and one in the afternoon in Montreal, Michel said.

Despite a very limited resume...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN.COM AT: http://espn.go.com/b...ukhotsky-dec-19

i thought it was hopkins who snubbed adonis in favour of fighting kovalev, that the hopkins fight was the one adonis and team were very much in favour of?

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 28 Oct 2014

mike john, on 28 October 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

i thought it was hopkins who snubbed adonis in favour of fighting kovalev, that the hopkins fight was the one adonis and team were very much in favour of?
From the article:

Kovalev and HBO both said that the deal for a fight this fall had been agreed to with each fighter getting an interim bout before their meeting, which would have been this month. Kovalev knocked out Cedric Agnew in March, but days before the fight Stevenson left HBO for Showtime, killing the fight with Kovalev.

Stevenson and his camp -- Michel and adviser Al Haymon -- claimed the deal with HBO was not done when Stevenson accepted a deal at Showtime, which put on what was supposed to be his interim bout before Kovalev against Andrzej Fonfara in May. Stevenson, a southpaw, dominated the first seven rounds, dropping him twice and opening a cut over his right eye. But Fonfara battled back, dropped Stevenson in the ninth round and had him in huge trouble down the stretch before Stevenson claimed a unanimous decision.

The reason Stevenson went to Showtime was supposedly to secure a fall unification fight with Hopkins, a bigger name who had been fighting on the network. But with Hopkins having an IBF-imposed deadline to sign for a unification fight nearing and no progress being made on a fight with Stevenson, he signed instead to face Kovalev and returned to HBO.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 28 Oct 2014

Stevenson would stylistically give Hopkins some problems. He's actually very athletic. I want to see him fight Jean Pascal.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 28 Oct 2014

So Hopkins dodged Adonis? Mane me confused

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 28 Oct 2014

prophecy, on 28 October 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Stevenson would stylistically give Hopkins some problems. He's actually very athletic. I want to see him fight Jean Pascal.
I think Adonis would be a far easier fight than Krusher for Bernard, his selection here both impressed and confused me.  Adonis moves in straighter lines.

Something that came up on Twitter: you think Manny would have let Al fvck Adonis around like this if he were still alive?

jlc80's Photo jlc80 28 Oct 2014

The athletic ones always trouble Hops.

SuperiorKnowledge's Photo SuperiorKnowledge 29 Oct 2014

ShameLess, on 28 October 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

So Hopkins dodged Adonis? Mane me confused

No, he didn't. Team Haymon was prolonging the fight negotiations in hopes of BHOP getting stripped. Haymon was trying to kill two birds with one stone. Bhop would lose leverage if he were stripped and Thomas Williams Jr—a Haymon fighter—would snatch the vacant belt. I'm glad Campillo pulled off that upset, which was the day ESPN announced the Bhop-Kovalev fight.

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 29 Oct 2014

Stevenson is too crude to give Hopkins problems.  Adonis would be swinging for the fences and missing the whole fight.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 29 Oct 2014

Vatoloco, on 29 October 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Stevenson is too crude to give Hopkins problems.  Adonis would be swinging for the fences and missing the whole fight.

Not really, he's actually got pretty good accuracy. He doesn't throw a lot punches but when he does he's already got you hurt. He's got really good 'eyes'... he see's things very well. On top of that he's athletic and understands how to create space and move.. and he's pretty fast. Those things have always troubled Hopkins. The type that don't are the ones that come to him.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 29 Oct 2014

jlc80, on 28 October 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

The athletic ones always trouble Hops.
exactly

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 04 Nov 2014

Mane after Hopkins beat Kovasaline him gonna takes out Adonis da rape king Stevenson

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 04 Nov 2014

ShameLess, on 04 November 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Mane after Hopkins beat Kovasaline him gonna takes out Adonis da rape king Stevenson
If you want to confirm our bet, you still need to send me a PM mane.

johnnyblaze, on 04 November 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

If you want to confirm our bet, you still need to send me a PM mane.
nigga gets off my nappy balls ya digs cuz. It's a bet mane whys u don't trust a nigga. We done had a bets before we kool it's a bet. Me want dats $ for 3 50lb bags of dawg food for my Rottweiler ane dat cold 6 pack of king cobra cuz.

$25 dawg food ane $2.99 cold six pack of king cobra total $27.99 ya digs mane