←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Bernard Hopkins: I'm Ignored 'beca...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 03 Nov 2014

Hopkins: Ignored 'because I'm black'

Updated: November 3, 2014, 4:07 PM ETBy Brian Campbell | ESPN.com

Hopkins Blames Race For Lack Of Coverage

PHILADELPHIA -- Unified light heavyweight titlist Bernard Hopkins believes race is the reason his pursuit of history hasn't been a bigger story outside of boxing. Hopkins, who set records as the oldest boxer to win and defend world titles, will be two months shy of 50 when he faces unbeaten Sergey Kovalev in Saturday's light heavyweight title unification bout at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN.com, Hopkins was asked the reason his record-setting run in recent years hasn't transcended the sport.

"[It's] because I'm black," Hopkins said before the start of his media workout at the Joe Hand Boxing Gym. "What do you think if my name was Augustine, Herzenstein, Stern? Cappello? Marciano? Don't you understand the conflict of interest?

"If I was any of those names of any other background, I'd be on every billboard and every milk carton and every place to be. If we're talking 'American Dream,' here's a guy who almost threw his life away and he took this great country's great attributes and used it -- do for self, work hard and be a law-abiding citizen. I've done that for 26 years."....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE WITH VIDEO ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...nscended-boxing

Antonious's Photo Antonious 03 Nov 2014

Black & boring

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 03 Nov 2014

Fought allen three times and that guy who ran for a few rounds, lol....breath taking stuff

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 03 Nov 2014

Gee, Tyson wasn't ignored. Mayweather, Ali, foreman, Leonard, Roy Jones, etc weren't ignored.

Doesn't have anything to do with Being black.

Probably has something to do with a poor personality, and ugly mug, and a boring, dirty fighting style.

Bernard gets tons of attention for being old and still in shape and fighting at an elite level.

Not everyone is a superstar and it has nothing to do with race.

Who are he richest boxers and basketball players? Football? Baseball?

Bernard was probably the guy trying to pick up girls at the club and when they rejected his snaggletooth mug, he calls them racist. And they were probably black girls too.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 03 Nov 2014

Mane his black ugly ass rights dough, him.would be a fucking Americane sports hero if him was a cracker ya digs cuz. If him wa say Tom Brady he bees on da front cover of GQ ane TIME ane shit.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 03 Nov 2014

View PostShameLess, on 03 November 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Mane his black ugly ass rights dough, him.would be a fucking Americane sports hero if him was a cracker ya digs cuz. If him wa say Tom Brady he bees on da front cover of GQ ane TIME ane shit.

Makes zero sense when other black fighters ARE sports heroes.

View Post9secondko, on 03 November 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

Makes zero sense when other black fighters ARE sports heroes.
boxing nigga boxing mane

mos-def's Photo mos-def 03 Nov 2014

Well, lots of ppl still talk about the Babe and completely ignore Aaron, sooo....

View Postmos-def, on 03 November 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

Well, lots of ppl still talk about the Babe and completely ignore Aaron, sooo....
DAMN MANE!

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 03 Nov 2014

That is crazy, I didn't know people still cared about baseball.

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 03 November 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

That is crazy, I didn't know people still cared about baseball.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. But they (white ppl) sure as hell care about Cobb, Ruth, Mantle etc.. Hops is making a point understandable on some level. That's not to say he isn't recognized. Blacks dominating boxing, and just about any other major sport in this country, is old hat. That fact may explain all the Russian teabagging going on lately. It gives you guys hope. "Great white hope."

bazooka's Photo bazooka 03 Nov 2014

Not really a good comparison though.  If you know the history of how each one did what they did, there really would be no debate here.

As far as Bhop goes, IMO he killed his chance to be a megastar with the way he conducted business in the wake of the Trinidad bout.  He had a chance to be HUGE after that....especially if he followed it up with a victory over Roy.   Instead, he barely fought over the next 2 years and when he did, he fought bums.  All the while he was getting sued by DiBella, having a huge spat with longtime trainer Bouie Fisher, and was just more concerned about extending the middleweight title defense streak than he was with making the biggest fights out there.  

Its great that Bernard is taking on tough fights now, but he's old and slowed down a lot.  Ten years ago, if he'd been doing all this he would still be able to punch better and score some more KOs.   He basically did to his career what Andre Ward is doing to his right now.

View Postbazooka, on 03 November 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Not really a good comparison though.  If you know the history of how each one did what they did, there really would be no debate here.

As far as Bhop goes, IMO he killed his chance to be a megastar with the way he conducted business in the wake of the Trinidad bout.  He had a chance to be HUGE after that....especially if he followed it up with a victory over Roy.   Instead, he barely fought over the next 2 years and when he did, he fought bums.  All the while he was getting sued by DiBella, having a huge spat with longtime trainer Bouie Fisher, and was just more concerned about extending the middleweight title defense streak than he was with making the biggest fights out there.  

Its great that Bernard is taking on tough fights now, but he's old and slowed down a lot.  Ten years ago, if he'd been doing all this he would still be able to punch better and score some more KOs.   He basically did to his career what Andre Ward is doing to his right now.
I think Ward would kill, as would most fighters would, to have a career even close to what Hops have accomplished, despite all you've said. He's done a lot, but if he were white, he'd be deified just as the aforementioned white athletes are. That's essentially what he's saying, and I agree.

As far as the history of what those guys did and how they did what they did (as you say) is actually irrelevant to my point. There are lots of ppl who actually believe Ruth is (and will always be) the home run king and act as if, not only didn't Aaron shatter his record into a gazillion pieces but also act like he doesn't even exist. If Aaron were another white guy, the feat would have been more easily and readily accepted.

Familiarity breeds contempt. Hops is just another black fighter of a very long exhaustive list and more than 100 years of dominating black fighters.

bazooka's Photo bazooka 03 Nov 2014

View Postmos-def, on 03 November 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

I think Ward would kill, as would most fighters would, to have a career even close to what Hops have accomplished, despite all you've said. He's done a lot, but if he were white, he'd be deified just as the aforementioned white athletes are. That's essentially what he's saying, and I agree.

As far as the history of what those guys did and how they did what they did (as you say) is actually irrelevant to my point. There are lots of ppl who actually believe Ruth is (and will always be) the home run king and act as if, not only didn't Aaron shatter his record into a gazillion pieces but also act like he doesn't even exist. If Aaron were another white guy, the feat would have been more easily and readily accepted.

Familiarity breeds contempt. Hops is just another black fighter of a very long exhaustive list and more than 100 years of dominating black fighters.
I personally don't know anyone who thinks Ruth is still the HR champ, so i don't know wth you're talking about with all that.  What can't be denied is the massive amounts of HRs that Ruth  hit in a shorter period of time.  Aaron was rarely the HR champ on any given season.  Ruth was routinely the season HR champ.  He also was a pitcher who rarely hit for the first few  years of his career.   That's probably why many people put more value on  what Ruth did, but I have yet to meet one single person who does not acknowledge Aaron as the career HR champion.

As for fighters being recognized....i still don't see what you're saying.  From my vantage point, fighters get shit on all the time simply for being white.  They're viewed as protected and overrated all the time....and mostly by people like you.  Plenty of white people who do as well, except for the fanboy russians who stick up for eastern block fighters no matter what.  Outside of them, those euro fighters don't necessarily get much love unless they actually earn it.  Even so, guys like the Klits still get shit on for being boring.  Is anyone deifying Wlad or Vitali?  Please show me an example because i'd sure as fuck love to see it.  Every time those guys get mentioned with the likes of Ali, most people in the know take offense to it.

You must be dreaming up a lot of this shit cuz I ain't see any of it.   Black paranoia???

prophecy's Photo prophecy 04 Nov 2014

Bernard is trippin.. Majority of the superstars in boxing we black. The biggest name in boxing today is black.