←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Hatton, Tszyu Still Class Act

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 03 Nov 2014

Hatton, Tszyu still class act

November, 3, 2014
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com
Nine years ago, June 4, 2005, Ricky Hatton scored his most significant victory as he stopped Kostya Tszyu in the 11th round to win the junior welterweight world championship. Hatton’s hometown crowd of 22,000 in Manchester, England, was delirious with joy, Hatton had stamped himself as the man at 140 pounds and Tszyu never fought again, ultimately getting elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

Hatton and Tszyu had not seen each other since that legendary night all those years ago until meeting once again at a recent news conference in Melbourne, Australia, to promote the Nov. 12 bout between Australian junior middleweight Anthony Mundine and Sergey Rabchenko, a fighter from Belarus promoted by Hatton Promotions. Like they did throughout their career, Hatton and Tszyu conducted themselves with class.

"It's the first time I've seen him since we fought and it was certainly a lot less painful than when we boxed," Hatton joked. "I still believe it was my greatest win. He's one of the best light welterweights of all time and although I did break a few Australian hearts that night, the way me and Kostya conducted ourselves after the fight was a good example to the youngsters....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...still-class-act