←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Algieriís Fame Growing As Pacquiao Fight A...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 09 Nov 2014

Algieri’s fame growing as Pacquiao fight approaches

By STEVE CARP
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

As Chris Algieri wraps up preparations for the biggest fight of his life, he does so with the knowledge that a lot more people know about him now than they did before he agreed to fight Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 22 in Macau.

“It’s good in that I always wanted this. It’s not good because I’m a private person, and I’m pretty low-key,” Algieri, the World Boxing Organization’s junior welterweight champion, said Tuesday before working out at the Palazzo, where he has been living and training for the past few weeks.

Last week, Newsday, Algieri’s hometown newspaper in Long Island, N.Y., ran a long story on the 30-year-old boxer. Algieri called it “overwhelming.” He was already popular on Long Island (he’s from Huntington), and the article only boosted his celebrity.
“It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even go to the deli anymore,” he said. “When I would go for a run, cars would follow me down the street......

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL AT: http://www.reviewjou...ight-approaches

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 10 Nov 2014

Good for him. The dude won the lottery.

But in this case, there's a good possibility that he really upsets the apple cart.

Styles make fights and his height along with his boxing skill is going to be a tough obstacle.

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 10 Nov 2014

9secondko, on 10 November 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

But in this case, there's a good possibility that he really upsets the apple cart.

Styles make fights and his height along with his boxing skill is going to be a tough obstacle.

Dangerous fight for Manny...

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW's Photo ROCKYMARSHMELLOW 10 Nov 2014

atruesoutherngentleman, on 10 November 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Dangerous fight for Manny...

Bet no fucker would say that if Mayweather chose him as an opponent.

Bourne's Photo Bourne 10 Nov 2014

ROCKYMARSHMELLOW, on 10 November 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

styles makes fight and floyd is better than pac. besides no one gives a shieeet about this fight.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 10 Nov 2014

MANE if Mayweather picked Ryan Seacrest Jr deez niggas would haves a stroke ya digs cuz

jasonputang's Photo jasonputang 10 Nov 2014

ShameLess, on 10 November 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

MANE if Mayweather picked Ryan Seacrest Jr deez niggas would haves a stroke ya digs cuz
Yeah, they would. Speaking of a stroke, shiit i would have one if mayweather fought thurman or ggg. Pickman n nomomayweather are both professional cherrypickers

Gokuu's Photo Gokuu 10 Nov 2014

I think this fight is also dangerous, but thats what champions should do is take on good fights. Algeri is not known but you don't have to be known to be a bad ass....Thats how you get known. He has a lot of skills, he is long and crafty. And he seems to have some pop to him. And wouldn't we rather see a champion like Manny in with someone thats a threat than a for sure win?

Im buying this fight...

It's a styles make fights thing.

Algieri would be difficult for floyd too.

But the height and reach is the issue here.

Manny showed some difficulty with a similarly sized margarito, who can't box 1/25th as good as algieri.

Manny has an easier time with floyd than he does with algieri.

Gokuu, on 10 November 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

I think this fight is also dangerous, but thats what champions should do is take on good fights. Algeri is not known but you don't have to be known to be a bad ass....Thats how you get known. He has a lot of skills, he is long and crafty. And he seems to have some pop to him. And wouldn't we rather see a champion like Manny in with someone thats a threat than a for sure win?

Im buying this fight...

This.

I remember a certain Ricardo mayorga, who burst onto the scene destroying a seeming monster in Andrew "six heads" Lewis.

That was a tremendous victory. But he still was unknown until... He horrifically destroyed an overmatched Vernon Forrest.

Algieri isn't the power puncher that mayorga was, but he's dangerous for different reasons.

Algieri is the unknown 800 lb. gorilla right now. Not because he's not the goods. Simply because he hasn't had his "tyson" or "Oscar" fight yet.

Pac is a once in a lifetime fighter, so he's good enough to turn back this challenge. But he will have to be at the top of his game.

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 10 Nov 2014

true his height and speed will bother pacman. I hope he wins then fights mayweather?

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 10 Nov 2014

jasonputang, on 10 November 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Yeah, they would. Speaking of a stroke, shiit i would have one if mayweather fought thurman or ggg. Pickman n nomomayweather are both professional cherrypickers
Pickmane :lol: dat shits wild ya digs mane