←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Roy Jones Jr Reveals Floyd Mayweather Is...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 10 Nov 2014

Roy Jones Jr Reveals Floyd Mayweather Is 'Not The Best He's Ever Seen At Boxing,' 'Pretty Boy' Woudn't Win During His Prime

By Mark Wayne Eubank | November 10, 2014 5:21 PM EST

Former professional boxer-turned-trainer Roy Jones Jr. opined that undefeated champion Floyd Mayweather is "not the best he's ever seen at boxing."

The 37-year-old American holds a 47-0-0 record, 26 coming by way of knockout, and can still put on a clinic on any given night to challengers younger than him.
However, the Olympic silver medalist, who was also a decorated and feared boxer fighter during his prime, believes that Pretty Boy's tactical soundness gives him the edge over his opponents inside the ring, but he is definitely not the greatest.

"Of course I'm impressed with the way he's been able to monopolize the money side of it,"....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON IB Times AU at: http://au.ibtimes.co...tm#.VGFB7MnYfJO

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 10 Nov 2014

good article

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 10 Nov 2014

"Boxing skills...I ain't going to say he's the best I've ever seen at boxing, but he's the smartest I've ever seen for sure." Roy Jones Jr mane.

Damon L. Teal's Photo Damon L. Teal 10 Nov 2014

FMJ isn't the greatest ever. He isn't even the greatest at any specific weight. Between 154lbs-147lbs best version vs best version I think SRL, Hearns, DLH, and Wright all beat. FMJ probably gets past Tito and Terry Norris though because of the style. At 140-135lbs best version vs best version Duran, Mosely, and DLH beat him. I think FMJ gets past JCC and JMM.

What is truly impressive about FMJ is how long he has managed to stay on top. The spot light has a way of aging fighters and FMJ has been under that light for a long time now. Prime vs prime SRL beats FMJ but SRL's prime wasn't very long. All these cats that beat FMJ in mythical match ups only do it in small windows of their careers. How long FMJ has been on the throne is very impressive. We all celebrate Hopkins longevity but Hopkins was never considered thee single best fighter in the sport. FMJ's longevity as P4P is not something many greats could've pulled off. Most get distracted by cocaine, women, music careers, etc, etc.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 10 Nov 2014

View PostDamon L. Teal, on 10 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

FMJ isn't the greatest ever. He isn't even the greatest at any specific weight. Between 154lbs-147lbs best version vs best version I think SRL, Hearns, DLH, and Wright all beat. FMJ probably gets past Tito and Terry Norris though because of the style. At 140-135lbs best version vs best version Duran, Mosely, and DLH beat him. I think FMJ gets past JCC and JMM.

What is truly impressive about FMJ is how long he has managed to stay on top. The spot light has a way of aging fighters and FMJ has been under that light for a long time now. Prime vs prime SRL beats FMJ but SRL's prime wasn't very long. All these cats that beat FMJ in mythical match ups only do it in small windows of their careers. How long FMJ has been on the throne is very impressive. We all celebrate Hopkins longevity but Hopkins was never considered thee single best fighter in the sport. FMJ's longevity as P4P is not something many greats could've pulled off. Most get distracted by cocaine, women, music careers, etc, etc.

Damn MANE dat bullshit was on point me really red it to cuz. Gotta give dat lil nigga props for carrying out being da king for dis long

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 10 Nov 2014

Well, there was that one time...

Posted Image

jlc80's Photo jlc80 10 Nov 2014

View PostReggieJay, on 10 November 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Well, there was that one time...

Posted Image
I was going to chime in on that point. Floyd didn't get to number one until Hops lost to Taylor I believe. I enjoy Roy Jones interviews, he's very honest and even.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 10 Nov 2014

View Postjlc80, on 10 November 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

I was going to chime in on that point. Floyd didn't get to number one until Hops lost to Taylor I believe. I enjoy Roy Jones interviews, he's very honest and even.

No, Floyd moved to number one after Roy lost to Tarver. Floyd fought Chop Chop the next week and the broadcasters talked about how Floyd winning that night pretty much puts him number one.

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 10 Nov 2014

View Postprophecy, on 10 November 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

No, Floyd moved to number one after Roy lost to Tarver. Floyd fought Chop Chop the next week and the broadcasters talked about how Floyd winning that night pretty much puts him number one.

According to the 2004 RING end-of-year pound-for-pound rankings, Bernard was rated as the best fighter in the sport at any weight. In the buildup to the Floyd - Arturo fight, Jim made specific mention that Floyd was #2 behind Bernard but that, if you asked Floyd himself, he'd tell you he was easily better than Bernard.

Raghavan1's Photo Raghavan1 11 Nov 2014

good points

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 11 Nov 2014

JLC is right, Floyd did not move into the #1 spot until Bhop lost to Jermaine

jlc80's Photo jlc80 11 Nov 2014

View Postprophecy, on 10 November 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

I think that's when Hops moved to number 1. The when he lost, Floyd moved to 1. You can't lose that number 1 spot without losing for sure. :D