←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Roy Jones Jr. Eager To Prove Training Skil...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 13 Nov 2014

Roy Jones Jr. eager to prove training skills with young champ Jessie Vargas

By Kevin Iole,   Yahoo Sports

Roy Jones Jr. is stretched out in a chair a few feet from the ring at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., where in a few minutes, his old nemesis, Bernard Hopkins, will compete in a light heavyweight title unification bout with Sergey Kovalev.

Jones is excited, and is making his points animatedly. He relays that he recently met cruiserweight champion Marco Huck at the WBO convention in Las Vegas and talked with Huck about fighting for his belt.

Jones speaks fast when he's excited, and he's going 75 in a 35 at this stage. He's training Jessie Vargas, the WBA super lightweight champion, at his new gym in...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON YAHOO SPORTS AT: http://sports.yahoo....-172507621.html

prophecy's Photo prophecy 13 Nov 2014

The worth of a trainer is decided not just on one fight. It takes time. Roy worked a corner for me and was great. But training wise I'm curious to see.. he's great giving pointers and additional advice though. If Vargas wins it's because of his natural ability and already built in experience. The quickest turn around and change I've ever seen any trainer have on a fighter was with Floyd Sr and DLH and Nazzim Richardson and Shane. Their first fights with these fighters made those guys look the best is I'd ever seen them

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 14 Nov 2014

Roy back on that juice, working with Memo.  Got Jesse on it, too.

Posted Image

True Fist's Photo True Fist 14 Nov 2014

Looks like that Pac picture from the Marquez 1 weigh in.

Vargas after weighing in for his last fight:

Posted Image

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 14 Nov 2014

How many close/controversial decisions can Vargas have and still be seen as a future top fighter?  His last 3 have been tight as I recall, I haven't been too impressed with him.

Shaun Waller, on 14 November 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

How many close/controversial decisions can Vargas have and still be seen as a future top fighter?  His last 3 have been tight as I recall, I haven't been too impressed with him.
We'll find out next weekend if the juice helps.  Roy looked a little better in his last fight, which was his first with Memo.

Danko's Photo Danko 14 Nov 2014

Floyd sr. and Naazim are probably the two biggest frauds in recent memory when it comes to training fighters.  Please tell me what new wrinkles these guys brought to the games of these already established world champions? Naazim with his pool noodles and towels has done nothing to help his fighters. All he can do is hold the spit bucket. FMsr has proven that his ego and laziness comes before his fighters as we saw when he trained hatton

ender's Photo ender 14 Nov 2014

johnnyblaze, on 14 November 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

We'll find out next weekend if the juice helps.  Roy looked a little better in his last fight, which was his first with Memo.

johnnyblaze, on 14 November 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Roy's been with Memo for longer than one fight. But they've only recently gone public. Memo's stable has grown. BJ Flores is with him, too.