←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Wladimir Klitschko Retains Title Again

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 16 Nov 2014

Wladimir Klitschko retains title again

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Klitschko Wins By Knockout

World heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is known for his devastating right hand as well as his ram-rod left jab.
But his left hook? It doesn't get nearly as much attention but is equally as destructive.

Klitschko used that powerful left hook to record all four of his knockdowns in a one-sided, fifth-round annihilation of mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev on Saturday at the O2 World arena in Hamburg, Germany -- the same city where Klitschko made his pro debut 18 years ago. It was another sensational performance for Klitschko, who retained his title for the 17th time in his second reign as he continued to move closer to a pair of hallowed boxing records.

He now stands just three defenses away from tying Larry Holmes for second place for most consecutive heavyweight title defenses at 20...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...avyweight-title

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 16 Nov 2014

great fight great result

dagiffy's Photo dagiffy 16 Nov 2014

The thing that baffles me about the worship that Wlad is getting from the "experts" (boxing writers) is that they'll say that Mayweather or Pacquiao (or whoever) is facing so and so, but it proves nothing.

Every single guy that either has faced in the last 5 years is miles better than Pulev, yet the "experts" will tell you that Wlad beating these palookas up proves that he's a great fighter. On the other hand, Mayweather beating Canelo or Maidana or Cotto or Hatton proves nothing. Zip Zilch Nada Bubkiss. Pacquiao beating Brando Rios proves nothing, either, though Rios is a better fighter than just about anyone Wlad has ever faced, pfp.

Yet here comes the drum roll again: it's not his fault there's no one to fight, he's dominating these guys, etc etc. Yet it proves he's a great fighter? Mike Tyson cleaning out the heavyweight division, wiping out guys that were no worse than Pulev and in some cases much better...all that proved nothing.

But somehow, facing some guys that are really pedestrian talents proves that Wlad is "unbeatable", that he's a great fighter that would have handled Ali, Foreman, Holmes, etc. I watched the fight last night. Pulev is terrible! If Mayweather or Pacquiao dared face a guy that bad, and dominated, we'd hear that it proved nothing to nobody and that they should be ashamed for facing such a fighter, that such a fighter had no business in a ring fighting for the title.

But Wlad does it and it proves he's a great fighter, that he's unbeatable, that he's this, that, and the other. Now, if Wlad was 6'3" and 210, the same size as Ali and Holmes, it says here that only hardcore fans would know his name. From a pfp perspective, he's lucky he has so many pounds!

It's far more correct to say that Wlad is a solid fighter that enjoys a size and strength advantage over pretty much everyone he fights, in an era where there just isn't much going on. His stats will continue to grow under these conditions.

That's no insult, it's just what it is. He is the heavyweight champion of the world, he doesn't need apologists stretching the narrative to fit their illusions of grandeur for the man. He's the best we have at the moment, and he has been for years now, but really. Enough with the horn tooting and fireworks, if a man is an all time great fighter, the last people that need to be heard to affirm it are the "experts". The hardcore fan will know it straight away.

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 17 Nov 2014

dagiffy, on 16 November 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

The thing that baffles me about the worship that Wlad is getting from the "experts" (boxing writers) is that they'll say that Mayweather or Pacquiao (or whoever) is facing so and so, but it proves nothing.

Every single guy that either has faced in the last 5 years is miles better than Pulev, yet the "experts" will tell you that Wlad beating these palookas up proves that he's a great fighter. On the other hand, Mayweather beating Canelo or Maidana or Cotto or Hatton proves nothing. Zip Zilch Nada Bubkiss. Pacquiao beating Brando Rios proves nothing, either, though Rios is a better fighter than just about anyone Wlad has ever faced, pfp.

Yet here comes the drum roll again: it's not his fault there's no one to fight, he's dominating these guys, etc etc. Yet it proves he's a great fighter? Mike Tyson cleaning out the heavyweight division, wiping out guys that were no worse than Pulev and in some cases much better...all that proved nothing.

But somehow, facing some guys that are really pedestrian talents proves that Wlad is "unbeatable", that he's a great fighter that would have handled Ali, Foreman, Holmes, etc. I watched the fight last night. Pulev is terrible! If Mayweather or Pacquiao dared face a guy that bad, and dominated, we'd hear that it proved nothing to nobody and that they should be ashamed for facing such a fighter, that such a fighter had no business in a ring fighting for the title.

But Wlad does it and it proves he's a great fighter, that he's unbeatable, that he's this, that, and the other. Now, if Wlad was 6'3" and 210, the same size as Ali and Holmes, it says here that only hardcore fans would know his name. From a pfp perspective, he's lucky he has so many pounds!

It's far more correct to say that Wlad is a solid fighter that enjoys a size and strength advantage over pretty much everyone he fights, in an era where there just isn't much going on. His stats will continue to grow under these conditions.

That's no insult, it's just what it is. He is the heavyweight champion of the world, he doesn't need apologists stretching the narrative to fit their illusions of grandeur for the man. He's the best we have at the moment, and he has been for years now, but really. Enough with the horn tooting and fireworks, if a man is an all time great fighter, the last people that need to be heard to affirm it are the "experts". The hardcore fan will know it straight away.

Nah. Dudes a great champ. And keeps proving it. Over and over and over and over and over...

a lot of the hate toward him is just racist.

When it comes down to what he does in the ring, it's always the same: win.

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 17 Nov 2014

Are the people who dislike Klitschko for being white, the same guys who ignore Nard because he's black?

9secondko's Photo 9secondko 17 Nov 2014

BoxingFan, on 17 November 2014 - 02:02 AM, said:

Are the people who dislike Klitschko for being white, the same guys who ignore Nard because he's black?

Nobody ignores Bernard.

He's gone as far as he can go.

and the funny thing is, you never hear any white people or Hispanics ever take anything away from Bernard. Pure fiction to help him sleep at night. He he's the one saying stupid crap like I'll never let a white boy best me (then proceeds to get beat by white boys).

Meanwhile Klitchko is hated on exclusively by blacks and Hispanics.

Then you hear "I can't wait until wlad retires so we can see some real heavyweights like [insert black fighters here... Or Chris Arellano here]." LOL

the_hater's Photo the_hater 17 Nov 2014

boxadore, on 16 November 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

great fight great result

:lol:

you didn't even see it. quit giving generic replies that don't even fit the fights.

psylancer's Photo psylancer 17 Nov 2014

dagiffy, on 16 November 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

I don't see why it's baffling at all. Mayweather and Pacquiao haven't always faced the best competition. Both could have chosen better opposition over the years and it's easy to criticize that. Despite his flaws and the state of the division, Klitschko can't be accused of avoiding anyone in his latest championship run. Many writers and some fans respect that. It's not his fault the division is what it is these days.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 17 Nov 2014

9secondko, on 17 November 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

Nobody ignores Bernard.

He's gone as far as he can go.

and the funny thing is, you never hear any white people or Hispanics ever take anything away from Bernard. Pure fiction to help him sleep at night. He he's the one saying stupid crap like I'll never let a white boy best me (then proceeds to get beat by white boys).

Meanwhile Klitchko is hated on exclusively by blacks and Hispanics.

Then you hear "I can't wait until wlad retires so we can see some real heavyweights like [insert black fighters here... Or Chris Arellano here]." LOL
You're wrong. Klit isn't liked because of his style of fight. He's too cautious. His skin color has zero to do with it. You think hbo refused all these years to air his fights cause he's a white boy?