←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Mayweather, Pacquiao And Pay-per-view Boxi...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 17 Nov 2014

Sportonomics: Mayweather, Pacquiao and pay-per-view boxing’s slow death

A fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao would shatter pay-per-view records — then usher in a new business model.

Sportonomics explores how Global Legacy Boxing plans on bringing boxing back to life in Canada,
By: Morgan Campbell - Mon Nov 17 2014

To many hardcore boxing fans a showdown between superstars Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao is no longer the must-see matchup it was five years ago when the bout was first proposed. The only people still agitating for it are the casual observers who watch boxing when Pacquiao or Mayweather fight but otherwise ignore the sport.

But occasional fans outnumber boxing aficionados, meaning there’s still a massive market for a superfight involving the two biggest pay-per-view draws in a sport perpetually searching for a mainstream niche. They’ll also both be in their late 30s if the fight ever happens, making the proposed bout a sort of referendum on the future of the boxing industry.

It’s not clear whether Mayweather-Pacquiao would be the Last Great Prize Fight, but...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THE TORONTO SUN AT: http://www.thestar.c...slow_death.html

bazooka's Photo bazooka 17 Nov 2014

Its funny how this article speaks as if PPV boxing is dying when even though both Floyd and Pac's PPV numbers have dropped significantly in the last year or two, these numbers are still higher than what most successful PPVs sold in previous decades.

The drop in numbers only proves 1 thing....that people are tired of the garbage.  They should have given us the big fight years ago.  If they did that, and maybe followed it up with a rematch....these guys could have then continued on, fighting the guys that they have been and IMO their PPV numbers would not be quite as low as they are now.

It’s not clear whether Mayweather-Pacquiao would be the Last Great Prize Fight, but it could function as the bout that forced boxing to update its business model.
Its pretty clear to me that this ^^^ is a stupid comment.  Last great prize fight....as in EVER?  Lol  <_<

gdgills's Photo gdgills 17 Nov 2014

<p>Wait what Zooks and I actually agree on something.&nbsp; I think folks are tired of bad cards and also are willing to find other ways to view these fights that were less available years ago i.e. streaming.&nbsp;</p>

gdgills, on 17 November 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

<p>Wait what Zooks and I actually agree on something.&nbsp; I think folks are tired of bad cards and also are willing to find other ways to view these fights that were less available years ago i.e. streaming.&nbsp;</p>
Why should it be tough to agree with me?  If you did it more often, you'd be in the right on a regular basis.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 17 Nov 2014

bazooka, on 17 November 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Why should it be tough to agree with me?  If you did it more often, you'd be in the right on a regular basis.
He'd be liking dik if he agreed with you more. That shiit aint right.

rayajr, on 17 November 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

He'd be liking dik if he agreed with you more. That shiit aint right.
:lol: :angry2:

Don't confuse me with 9sec.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 17 Nov 2014

bazooka, on 17 November 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

:lol:/> :angry2:/>

Sorry mane. You know you still love me.

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 17 Nov 2014

bazooka, on 17 November 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

:lol: :angry2:

mane:lol: strait up a kong type niggas

moneymaywhat?'s Photo moneymaywhat? 18 Nov 2014

boxing is far from dead, ppv yeah. boxing overall, nah. they should put this shit back on prime time. ratings off the roof.