←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Is Gennady Golovkin Vs Sergey Kovalev Figh...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 17 Nov 2014

Is Golovkin-Kovalev fight possible?

By Gyuzel Kamalova, Tengrinews

Bernard Hopkins’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya said that the 49 y.o boxer could face Gennady GGG Golovkin in the light heavyweight, Tengrinews reports citing Vesti.kz. But Hopkins lost his WBA, and IBF light heavyweight titles to Sergey Kovalev on November 8. After Kovalev’s victory, his promoter Kathy Duva stated that the undefeated Russian could face the WBA (Super), IBO and WBC Interim champion Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan. However, for Golovkin to face Kovalelov, according to Duva, the undefeated Kazakhstani boxer would have to go up in weight.

“We would entertain the thought of that fight, of course we would, especially if it’s a pay-per-view fight down the road. But I’m sure that Sergey’s not going to want to look forward to another difficult fight right off of the bat,” Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez said.

“But I’ve had him in the gym together with Gennady and he knows what he can do with Gennady and he has not improved in any aspect of his game as Gennady has and so, obviously, we would entertain that fight. It’s just a matter of the suits getting together and making it happen for the good of everybody,” Sanchez added....

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON Tengrinews AT: http://en.tengrinews...ossible-257355/

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 17 Nov 2014

Word on the street is GGG straight up manhandled Krusher in sparring.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 17 Nov 2014

Sparring is sparring. There are so many variables that go into how much the results of the sparring means. Maybe one was closer to a fight or being fight ready and the other guy was just "there" more or less. I do think GGG has a better inside game and that could be the point of reference Abe is making. However, i've seen GGG get hit cleanly too often by lower level guys to think he would handle Kov's power less the headgear. Would love to see the footage if it exists.

prophecy's Photo prophecy 17 Nov 2014

This ^^^

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 17 Nov 2014

slickvik69, on 17 November 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

He ko'd Kovalev in sparring
Was it like this?

Posted Image

Ripley's Photo Ripley 17 Nov 2014

I prefer Stevenson vs. Kovalev at the moment. Let Golovkin clean out his division before fighting these bigger guys.

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 17 Nov 2014

Ripley, on 17 November 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

I prefer Stevenson vs. Kovalev at the moment. Let Golovkin clean out his division before fighting these bigger guys.

I agree on Stevenson - Kovalev having priority.

SuperiorKnowledge's Photo SuperiorKnowledge 17 Nov 2014

this fight won't be happening any time in the near future.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 17 Nov 2014

Seriously, how can Stevenson possibly avoid the Kov fight at this point outside of being upset in his next fight?

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 18 Nov 2014

johnnyblaze, on 17 November 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Word on the street is GGG straight up manhandled Krusher in sparring.
yeah I've heard the same thing ggg is very srong dropped krusher in sparring with a body shot.

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 18 Nov 2014

Ripley, on 17 November 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

good call best fight for boxing now let's prove the best lightheavyweight champ. the alephbet soup orgs make things confusing.

Scott Harris's Photo Scott Harris 18 Nov 2014

Everyone would love to see it.
Edited by Scott Harris, 18 November 2014 - 04:35 AM.

1hitrquitr's Photo 1hitrquitr 18 Nov 2014

Why is there no mention of ward vs krusher?

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 18 Nov 2014

1hitrquitr, on 18 November 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Why is there no mention of ward vs krusher?
Why talk about an inactive fighter?