←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Demetrius Andrade Unhappy With His Purse

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 19 Nov 2014

Andrade unhappy with his purse


By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Junior middleweight world titleholder Demetrius Andrade, unhappy with his purse and by a lack of communication with his promoters, has dropped out of a defense scheduled against Jermell Charlo on Dec. 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Although Charlo promoter Golden Boy Promotions and Showtime, which was going to televise the bout as the opener on a tripleheader, announced the fight on Oct. 31, Andrade-Charlo was never finalized and now it's off.

"It is unfortunate as it was a good move for Demetrius and his career but we are trying to reschedule it for another date and will hopefully have some more news next week after I get back in Macau and get together with him," Star Boxing's Joe DeGuardia, who co-promotes Andrade with Artie Pelullo's Banner Promotions, told ESPN.com...

READ FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...-jermell-charlo
Quote

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 19 Nov 2014

I thought Andrade should've taken this fight. I think he's a decent fighter and I like him but honestly, he hasn't really beaten anyone.
Quote

True Fist's Photo True Fist 19 Nov 2014

Andrade is not a name yet. Of course Khan and Alexander are making more than him! And $300k seems like a reasonable purse for an undercard fight. I didn't expect this type of attitude from Andrade.
Quote

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 19 Nov 2014

It comes off like not wanting to fight Charlo. A number of these new guys want big paydays without consistently putting butts in seats and facing solid-to-good opposition.
Quote

rayajr's Photo rayajr 19 Nov 2014

View PostTrue Fist, on 19 November 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Andrade is not a name yet. Of course Khan and Alexander are making more than him! And $300k seems like a reasonable purse for an undercard fight. I didn't expect this type of attitude from Andrade.
300k as an opener and it's a career high. From here it looks like a bad move to walk away from that.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 19 Nov 2014

View Postatruesoutherngentleman, on 19 November 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

It comes off like not wanting to fight Charlo. A number of these new guys want big paydays without consistently putting butts in seats and facing solid-to-good opposition.
Andrade probably heard what Haymon got for Charlo and decided 300k wasn't enough.  I don't care either way, this was going to be a sh1t fight.  I'll be down the street at the Cosmo Dec. 13th.
Quote

jlc80's Photo jlc80 19 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 19 November 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Andrade probably heard what Haymon got for Charlo and decided 300k wasn't enough.  I don't care either way, this was going to be a sh1t fight.  I'll be down the street at the Cosmo Dec. 13th.

Andrade basically thought he was being set up to lose from what i've heard. He talked about not taking this fight at least 2 weeks ago and i think the purse was just a more "appropriate" out.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 19 Nov 2014

View Postjlc80, on 19 November 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Andrade basically thought he was being set up to lose from what i've heard. He talked about not taking this fight at least 2 weeks ago and i think the purse was just a more "appropriate" out.
His concern was probably legitimate, but then why re-schedule?
Quote

jlc80's Photo jlc80 19 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 19 November 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

His concern was probably legitimate, but then why re-schedule?

Not sure. His rant was more about Charlo not earning the fight as he hasn't beaten anyone in the top 10 in the division and that Haymon is basically getting him a shortcut to the title. Maybe if he's going to get jerked, he's at least going to cash in while doing so.
Quote

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 19 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 19 November 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:


Andrade probably heard what Haymon got for Charlo and decided 300k wasn't enough.  I don't care either way, this was going to be a sh1t fight.  I'll be down the street at the Cosmo Dec. 13th.

Maybe not a great fight but a legit test for both.
Quote

ShameLess's Photo ShameLess 19 Nov 2014

View Postslickvik69, on 19 November 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Charlo is really good I've been in the gym with him for the last six years and watched him and his brother grow. Sparring with Lara helped their confidence a lot.

Deguardia is really shady and pellulo has ties to the philly mob.
mane is Laura knocking niggas out in da gym
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 19 Nov 2014

View Postatruesoutherngentleman, on 19 November 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Maybe not a great fight but a legit test for both.
I have a hard time seeing either being great.
Quote

boxalettice 's Photo boxalettice 19 Nov 2014

View Postatruesoutherngentleman, on 19 November 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

I thought Andrade should've taken this fight. I think he's a decent fighter and I like him but honestly, he hasn't really beaten anyone.
andrade seems very solid he has the skills I hope he emerges as the next top guy.
Quote

atruesoutherngentleman's Photo atruesoutherngentleman 19 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 19 November 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:


I have a hard time seeing either being great.

Yeah, maybe not great but I like fights like these to separate the men from the boys. Reduces the number of frauds.
Quote

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 19 Nov 2014

I think too many boxers are being way under paid.
Quote