←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

What We Learned: Pacquiao - Algieri Fight

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 24 Nov 2014

What we learned: Pacquiao-Algieri

By Brian Campbell | ESPN.com

After Manny Pacquiao's one-sided thumping of unbeaten 140-pound titlist Chris Algieri on Saturday to defend his welterweight belt at the Venetian Macao's Cotai Arena in Macau, here are five things we learned:

1. Algieri may have won the promotion, but he badly lost the war


Pacquiao-Algieri

Bernardo Osuna and Kieran Mulvaney discuss Manny Pacquiao's dominant win over Chris Algieri and the chances of seeing Pacquiao face Floyd Mayweather in 2015.

When Algieri was originally announced as Pacquiao's opponent, the reaction from boxing pundits centered around concerns of him being undeserving. With just one major win -- and a debated one at that -- Algieri made the unlikely leap from club fighter to pay-per-view co-headliner in less than one year. But something happened along the way to Macau -- Algieri stole the show. With Pacquiao busy training in Asia, Algieri won the promotion of the fight by soaking up the spotlight with his confidence and flamboyant swagger. If anything, it had a major effect on the odds of the fight, with Pacquiao closing as low as a 6-1 favorite. But the fight was a completely different story and more one-sided than the harshest of critics could have envisioned. (Raise your hand if you remember ever seeing a 120-102 scorecard before.) When Algieri wasn't moving backward, he was getting knocked down -- six times! The jab that dominated much of the prefight headlines was largely nonexistent. With nothing powerful coming back in return to keep Pacquiao honest, Algieri (20-1, 8 KOs) was quickly exposed as too one-dimensional against a complete -- and still very much elite -- version of Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) one month shy of 36.

2. Algieri's trainer produced one of boxing's most infamous moments of 2014...

READ THE FULL ARTICLE BY BRIAN CAMPBELL ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...acquiao-algieri
Quote

SW20's Photo SW20 25 Nov 2014

What I learned from this fight is that people were too quick to say that Pacman is past his prime.  I do agree that he has lost some pop at the higher weights, but the guy has fought very good opposition and has changed his fighting style from brawler with a strong left to a older fighter that can box your ears off.  He still has speed, he still has stamina, he has decent pop, but an box with the best of them.  His game just changed that is all, he is a complete fighter.  I still believe that JMM got a perfectly timed/lucky punch, take that away and Pacman has pretty much dominated every fighter.  A shame that Pacman/Mayweather fight didn't happen 4-5 years ago, because I wanted to see 2 primed fighters decide who was the best in their era.
Quote

gdgills's Photo gdgills 25 Nov 2014

He has never dominated JMM period.  I think the only thing we learned that you pointed out is that he seems to have better stamina in the late rounds.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 25 Nov 2014

View PostSW20, on 25 November 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

What I learned from this fight is that people were too quick to say that Pacman is past his prime. I do agree that he has lost some pop at the higher weights, but the guy has fought very good opposition and has changed his fighting style from brawler with a strong left to a older fighter that can box your ears off.  He still has speed, he still has stamina, he has decent pop, but an box with the best of them.  His game just changed that is all, he is a complete fighter.  I still believe that JMM got a perfectly timed/lucky punch, take that away and Pacman has pretty much dominated every fighter.  A shame that Pacman/Mayweather fight didn't happen 4-5 years ago, because I wanted to see 2 primed fighters decide who was the best in their era.
:mellow:
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 25 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 25 November 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

:mellow:
still prime for both, but on the downward slope.  4-5 years ago, both guys were at their peak.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 25 Nov 2014

View Postbazooka, on 25 November 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

still prime for both, but on the downward slope.  4-5 years ago, both guys were at their peak.
I can't agree there.

Pac's prime was ended by Tony.  Hasn't been the same since.

Floyd is just starting to look past it this year.
Quote

Jack Tripper's Photo Jack Tripper 25 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 25 November 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I can't agree there.

Pac's prime was ended by Tony.  Hasn't been the same since.

Floyd is just starting to look past it this year.
You didn't like how Pac looked against Shane?
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 25 Nov 2014

View PostDanielandres, on 25 November 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

You didn't like how Pac looked against Shane?
Nope.  Shane ran, but Pac didn't cut off the ring at all.  Not that it's his strong point, but Shane was happy enough to tap gloves all night and Pac was just as pleased to oblige.
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 25 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 25 November 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I can't agree there.

Pac's prime was ended by Tony.  Hasn't been the same since.

Floyd is just starting to look past it this year.
Could be.  A couple fights ago, I thought Manny was about washed up.  He seems to have bounced back pretty well and is still fighting at a high level.
Quote

jlc80's Photo jlc80 25 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 25 November 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

I can't agree there.

Pac's prime was ended by Tony.  Hasn't been the same since.

Floyd is just starting to look past it this year.

Strangely that may be true. Although he effectively ended Tony's career, he actually took a lot of punishment from a naturally much larger fighter in the process.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 25 Nov 2014

View Postbazooka, on 25 November 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Could be.  A couple fights ago, I thought Manny was about washed up.  He seems to have bounced back pretty well and is still fighting at a high level.
Good match making.
Quote

Jack Tripper's Photo Jack Tripper 25 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 25 November 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Nope.  Shane ran, but Pac didn't cut off the ring at all.  Not that it's his strong point, but Shane was happy enough to tap gloves all night and Pac was just as pleased to oblige.
I think Pac was still in his prime, even in the 3rd JMM fight. He only really looked bad in the first Bradley fight.
Quote

Vatoloco's Photo Vatoloco 25 Nov 2014

View PostSW20, on 25 November 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

I still believe that JMM got a perfectly timed/lucky punch, take that away and Pacman has pretty much dominated every fighter.  
:lol: Even Roach himself said it wasn't a lucky punch.
Quote

bazooka's Photo bazooka 25 Nov 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 25 November 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Good match making.
Yeah that's part of it.  Ya can't deny what happened in the Bradley rematch though.  Tim's a pretty damn good fighter and he won handily.  Then Manny pitched two virtual shutouts vs. Rios and Algieri.  Those two aren't anything special, but a guy who is seriously faded wouldn't be dominating those guys.
Quote

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 25 Nov 2014

View PostDanielandres, on 25 November 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

I think Pac was still in his prime, even in the 3rd JMM fight. He only really looked bad in the first Bradley fight.
The 3rd JMM fight had Pac as a heavy favorite.  JMM was struggling with guys like Katsidis the prior year, and many in here thought Pac would run right through him, myself included.  It was a disappointing performance.
Quote