←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Riddick Bowe, Ray Mancini Honored

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 04 Dec 2014

Riddick Bowe, Ray Mancini honored

Updated: December 4, 2014, 2:59 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Three of the biggest stars of their time -- former undisputed heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe, former featherweight champion "Prince" Naseem Hamed and former lightweight champion Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini -- will share a big stage this summer.

The trio was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in balloting results announced Thursday afternoon. Bowe and Mancini both were elected in their first year on the ballot in the modern category, as voted on by members of the Boxing Writers Association of America and a panel of boxing historians. They will be enshrined June 14 during the 26th annual induction ceremonies at the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York.

Also elected were former junior flyweight champion Yoko Gushiken in the old-timer category, manager Rafael Mendoza and referee Steve Smoger -- who remains one of boxing's elite officials -- in the non-participant category, and HBO broadcaster Jim Lampley and journalist Nigel Collins, the former Ring magazine editor and a current ESPN.com contributor, in the observer category.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON ESPN AT: http://espn.go.com/b...fame-selections

BABABOOEY's Photo BABABOOEY 04 Dec 2014

I am truly excited for Hamed. A well deserved honor. I don't get the Riddick Bowe induction. Yes, he only had one loss, but his reign on top was very short and he ducked his top foe, Lennox Lewis. Not a hall of famer in my book.