←  Boxing Chat

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Floyd Mayweather 3-1 Favorite Over Manny P...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 08 Dec 2014

Floyd 3-1 favorite

Dec. 09 TEMPO

They haven’t signed their names above the dotted line but Floyd Mayweather is the clear favorite in case he finally decides to face livewire Filipino rival Manny Pacquiao next year. The undefeated Mayweather has been listed as a 3-1 favorite over Pacquiao even as different parties are moving heaven and earth to make the fight happen in the first six months of 2015.

According to Las Vegas oddsmakers, Mayweather is a -300 favorite and Pacquiao a -250 underdog, translating to a win of just $100 for a $300 wager on Mayweather and a fat $250 return on just $100 on Pacquiao.

The figures seem very rational since Mayweather is known for his defensive tactics and durable chin, while Pacquiao hasn’t really been very explosive the last few years. In case a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight takes place, they are expected to meet at welterweight (147 lbs) or even at a super-welter catch weight of 150 or 151.

Since overwhelming and upsetting Oscar Dela Hoya in 2008, Pacquiao has entered a fight the favorite. But it won’t be that way when he goes up against Mayweather, who has beaten Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Canelo Alvarez and Marcos Maidana rather easily the past couple of years....

READ THE FULL STORY ON TEMPO

philrudd's Photo philrudd 08 Dec 2014

Am I the only one surprised by this?

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 08 Dec 2014

View Postphilrudd, on 08 December 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Am I the only one surprised by this?

Before the Algieri fight, some books had Pacquiao as high as 4-1.

johnnyblaze's Photo johnnyblaze 08 Dec 2014

View PostReggieJay, on 08 December 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Before the Algieri fight, some books had Pacquiao as high as 4-1.
Read some quotes from another Vegas bookmaker, he said Floyd at anything less than (-300) is a bargain.

gdgills's Photo gdgills 08 Dec 2014

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 08 December 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

Read some quotes from another Vegas bookmaker, he said Floyd at anything less than (-300) is a bargain.

Don't know why, Pac is very much a threat to Floyd.  Certainly not an even fight but Pac has much better than a punchers chance in my opinion.

rayajr's Photo rayajr 08 Dec 2014

Im expecting a shut out win for Floyd. I think he may want to ko Pac late though, and that could lead to some moments for Pac.

ReggieJay's Photo ReggieJay 08 Dec 2014

View Postgdgills, on 08 December 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Don't know why, Pac is very much a threat to Floyd.  Certainly not an even fight but Pac has much better than a punchers chance in my opinion.

Relative to Floyd's recent opponents, 1/3 is pretty good. Outside of Canelo, Floyd has been favored by greater than 1/3 against everyone since Juan Manuel.

View Postrayajr, on 08 December 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Im expecting a shut out win for Floyd. I think he may want to ko Pac late though, and that could lead to some moments for Pac.

Really?  I just don't see it Pac in my opinion will stay busy and occasionally land some very good shots.  Some of which will definitely bother Mayweather. I just see his volume of punches as being a big problem for Floyd.

View Postgdgills, on 08 December 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

I think in 2015, Floyd pot shots Pac to win 10-2 in a very ugly fight.

View Postjohnnyblaze, on 08 December 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

I think in 2015, Floyd pot shots Pac to win 10-2 in a very ugly fight.

Hmm you all think Pac is a bit more past it than I do I guess.  Vegas agrees with you so there we are lol.

View Postgdgills, on 08 December 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hmm you all think Pac is a bit more past it than I do I guess.  Vegas agrees with you so there we are lol.
Like Reggie said, for a Floyd fight the odds are pretty close.

wrecksracer's Photo wrecksracer 08 Dec 2014

The Mayweather that fought Maidana (1st fight) is going to have issues dealing with Pac. Floyd is more stationary these days, and sometimes hangs out on the ropes. Well, I thinks he will win by a close, maybe even controversial, points decision.

jlc80's Photo jlc80 08 Dec 2014

View Postwrecksracer, on 08 December 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

The Mayweather that fought Maidana (1st fight) is going to have issues dealing with Pac. Floyd is more stationary these days, and sometimes hangs out on the ropes. Well, I thinks he will win by a close, maybe even controversial, points decision.

Difference being Maidana cuts off the ring better than Manny and has a very solid jab to set up his attack which in itself is awkward as hell. Manny is lefty, fast and also awkward but one fight has no bearing on the other.

Shaun Waller's Photo Shaun Waller 08 Dec 2014

I think its a much closer fight now than it woulda been 4 years ago.  I always thought Floyd would easily decision Pac.  But Pac is a much smarter fighter now, better use footwork, handspeed and so on.  I see him being able to pot shot Floyd early on, and then Floyd adjusting and winning a close decision.   High speed chess is how I envision this fight being, it'll be great to watch.

View PostShaun Waller, on 08 December 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

I think its a much closer fight now than it woulda been 4 years ago.  I always thought Floyd would easily decision Pac.  But Pac is a much smarter fighter now, better use footwork, handspeed and so on.  I see him being able to pot shot Floyd early on, and then Floyd adjusting and winning a close decision.   High speed chess is how I envision this fight being, it'll be great to watch.
Man, I hope it's that close.  Pac is reminding me a little of MAB in the way he re-tooled and extended his career.  I'm not sure if he will be as successful, or if I am seeing what I want to see, but that was the feeling I got in his last 2 fights.