←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Amir Khan Prepares For Final Step To Big M...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 09 Dec 2014

Amir Khan prepares for final step to big money
  • by MARTIN HANNAN

HE MAY have moved his training camp to the town of that name in California, but Amir Khan is definitely not suffering a case of the Union City blues.

As he talked to the UK press before Saturday’s massive clash with Devon Alexander in the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, Khan sounded as confident and cheerful as at any time in his professional career which next year will reach the decade mark.

Gone is the fresh-faced, star-struck Lancashire lad who thrilled British sports fans by winning a silver medal at the Athens Olympics of 2004. Khan will celebrate his 28th birthday tomorrow and his new-found maturity, largely the result of fatherhood, has seen him turn his back on his home in Los Angeles, and Freddy Roach’s Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, for Union City in the San Francisco Bay Area, an industrialised enclave with large minorities of Asian and Hispanic people.

It’s an almost symbolic move for Khan, swapping the bright lights and famous friends for a much smaller town where he has only his family for company.

“Sometimes, LA, it did become a big distraction,” said Khan. “I used to come in the gym, and I’d have Mark Wahlberg and a lot of these actors coming to the gym and watching me train, and then they would invite you for dinner afterwards and you can’t really say no to them, because they came to see you, you have to spend some time with them.....

READ FULL STORY ON SCOTSMAN.COM