Trout: 'these Are My Peak Years'

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 10 Dec 2014

Trout: 'These are my peak years'

December, 10, 2014
Dec 10
12:29
PM ET
By Brian Campbell | ESPN.com
Call it a moment of clarity within the chaos. But former junior middleweight titlist Austin Trout remembers that moment quite well. Down for the second time in Round 3 of an expected get-well fight against Daniel Dawson in August on ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights,” Trout was on the verge of a stunning third straight defeat.

“When something like that happens, everything that you have on the line is going through your head -- your career, your future and everything you worked for,” Trout told ESPN.com. “I kind of told myself it’s time to let go and go for it.”

It may have been hard to calculate in real time exactly how damaging a defeat it would have been, but Trout (27-2, 14 KOs) made sure not to find out. The native of Las Cruces, New Mexico, put aside his technical southpaw style to step on the gas pedal, knocking Dawson down in Round 8 and claiming a wide decision.

Trout, 29, makes his return on Thursday in the main event of an ESPN Boxing Special (ESPN2, 10 p.m. ET) against Luis Grajeda in a 10-round junior welterweight bout at the Penchanga Resort in Temecula, California.

“The thing that got me in trouble [against Dawson] was that I was getting too anxious, so I had to tell myself....

READ THE FULL STORY ON ESPN