←  U.K. B0XING

Doghouse Boxing - Dog Pound

»

Floyd Mayweather And Manny Pacquiao Are No...

Glax0r's Photo Glax0r 22 Dec 2014

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are not the first boxers to duck a fight

Joseph Henry Coburn’s frustrations in the 19th century show that dodging fights is not a new phenomenon in the slippery world of boxing
By Paul Gibson

Monday 22 December 2014 15.42 GMT

We’re not sure exactly what James Whitcomb Riley had in mind with his famous, if it walks, swims and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck, line. While it may have been simply a flippant remark to end a tiresome debate, I like to imagine that the poet’s famous quote was an allegorical double entendre.

The word “duck” gains prominence in boxing circles every time Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao take to the airwaves to fire the latest blanks in their phoniest of wars. They’ve both been at it again recently, excelling in the prize fight equivalent of the Premier League footballer’s lemme-at-him struggle, safe in the knowledge there is a 20-man buffer between the players and absolutely zero chance of the harmless handbags escalating into a physical altercation.

I’m not brave enough to risk the ire of either fighter’s fanbase by volunteering an opinion on the Pacman v Money debacle, but I am presumably on safe enough ground to ridicule the charade as just another symptom of a sport whose health has been on the wane for decades, right? Hang around any boxing gym in the land and some grizzled, old-timer will soon testify to that. Doing nothing to disguise his disdain of the mollycoddled modern day fighter, he’ll tell you that, in his day, the best fought the best and the champ took on all-comers, no questions asked.

Push him for details and you’ll have the likes of Jack Britton and Ted “Kid” Lewis spat back at you with vengeance. The Hall of Fame welterweights traded leather on 20 separate occasions, totalling an astonishing 224 rounds. In June 1917...

READ THE FULL STORY ON THE GUARDIAN

BoxingFan's Photo BoxingFan 28 Dec 2014

View PostGlax0r, on 22 December 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are not the first boxers to duck a fight

Who claimed that they were?